Zakie
How do you start to learn a foreign language?

hello!

If you decide to start learning a new language .. Where to start?
Some begin to learn the letters "the alphabet"
Others begin to learn some phrases, such as greetings and some questions..

What is the best way?

Most of language partners do not have envision how they can walk with in learning.. they just answer your questions..

Is there a plan to learn the language step by step?
or is it better to rely on a book?

Thanks

Aug 30, 2014 8:54 PM
Comments · 4

Everyone is different. SO, the same learning method may work for a person and be useless for an other....

For the start I usually find a good grammar book. Okay, doesn't sound interesting, but for me worls the best. If I try to watch movies, listeng to music or talk with people in a language i just started learning, it would only make me confused and soon I get demotivated. I need to reach an intermediate level for that (and at this point it helps a lot).

But for many people the "full immersion" works great form the beginning, while they find the grammar books boring :)

The best thing is to find out what is the best way for you. 

August 30, 2014

I dont think there is a standard answer. We all learn languages different. For example I started writing down which languages i would like to learn. Then once I wrote down about 13 languages I crossed off the ones whicj were nor realistic for me at the time (korean, chinese) then I checked the ones I would learn (portuguese, french, italian, etc) then I checked online for resources. How-to-learn-any-language.com is a good start has a lot of links and suggestions.  I downloaded anki on my S3 to learn vocabulary and then looked for HIMYM in portuguese since im a big fan of the show I kinda know what is happening even if i dont know the words. 

Then just a bunch of practice, exercises, and talking to ppl here, on fb, skype and so on 

Hope it helped!! 

August 30, 2014

Thanks Tonu

Good ideas

August 30, 2014

Thanks Megumi,

I agree that everyone has their own way..
But I think that there are general rules may be known to teachers
Does not seem to me to start from grammer is a suitable option before knowing some of the words and expressions..

August 30, 2014