Alice
help me please!

i want to emprove my english but i see no real improvements.

i read everyday, i learn new words, but i don't get some costructions that are very different in italian language.

sometimes for example i think it should be there the article : "the cases never go to THE court" but the right once is without the article..

perhaps i have to store everything...also for example "went on" which in (?) italian language is translate with one verb "durò" ..

when i read i undestand almost all, but when i speak i tend to italianize!...

i know that the solution is the practise, but i wanted to know if anyone has any other suggestion!

thanks to all!

Aug 31, 2014 9:59 AM
Comments · 19

Not just practise, but be aware of your own errors. I'll rewrite your text to demonstrate.

I want to improve my English but I see no real progress.
I read every day and learn new words, but I don't get some constructions that are very different in Italian.
For example, sometimes I think there should be an article - "the cases never go to THE court" - but that's correct without an article.
Perhaps I have to memorise everything... also for example, "went on", which in Italian is translated into one verb, "durò".
When I read, I undestand almost everything, but when I speak I tend to Italianize!
I know that the solution is to practise, but I wanted to know if anyone has any other suggestions!
Thanks, everyone!

The italki page won't let me use red for a text this long. It's probably a good habit to post in Notebook and ask questions - there are explanations for the things which mystify you.

I think one obvious problem is that you're trying to understand English based on how Italian works. If it were only that simple...

August 31, 2014

You've got a lot of good suggestions, so I'll give you something short and sweet: "Stop translating."

Have fun!

September 13, 2014

Hi Alice I've got the same problem. I understand often a 90% of words but the improvements "seem" very little My main reason for learning English is find a job. Actually I finished the College. I tend to "italianizzare" too but I know learning a language is not easy but is not impossible. Don't worry. Continue to read, sing and if you have the chance to speak. Don't be sad and don't be afraid of wrong. Ciao :)

August 31, 2014

Wow, what a great response Mo!

Alice, it's worth the time to work on understanding everything Mo wrote above and to answer his questions and if I were you and got a response like that... I'd be booking a class with Mo!

September 8, 2014

I am learning English too. I think Oral English overweighs just reading and memorizing vocabulary. By talking to native English speakers, your English would improve faster, because I do it by this way. I find several English speakers and talk to them fluently, nearly spend at least 1 hour each day, and I have been doing it since April this year, and I found it works.

September 1, 2014
Show more