[Deleted]
I can't understand . . .

I really can't understand,

I don't know why, but most of the English native speakers' comments here are soooo hard for me to understand, even with using the translator,

What do you think is the reason of that ?

Maybe, my poor language ?

Maybe, they don't adhere to the correct grammar, and the correct sentense structure ?

Maybe, the translator can't help ?

or what ?

If you wanted to know how is the successful discussion here look like,
try to look for the discussions where the english native speakers are discussing each other,

or maybe some other discussions where some guys here are fighting and disrespecting each other, 0_o

Finally, maybe I am just wrong,

Tell me your opinion about that, Why I can't understand most of the English native speakers' comments ?

correct me plz . . . IRCAU

Sep 1, 2014 8:45 AM
Comments · 7

Maybe, my poor language ?     

No, your English seems fine.

Maybe, they don't adhere to the correct grammar, and the correct sentense structure ?

No, this is absolutely not the case.

Maybe, the translator can't help ?

Yes, this is definitely a large part of the problem. Automatic translators are fine at word level, sometimes acceptable at phrase level providing it's a common phrase, and worse than useless at sentence level.

or what ?

The 'or what' is the nature of language itself. Language is not a sequence of mathematical equations or scientific formulas.  In language 2 + 2 isn't always 4. Languages are complex, subtle and idiomatic - none more so than English.

Take a word like 'set'. On its own it can be a noun, a verb or an adjective, each with many different meanings. Combined with other words (such as off, on, up and so on) it has literally hundreds of other meanings, all dependent on the words that appear around it. How can you expect an automatic translator to cope with that?

Don't blame yourself and don't blame native speakers. You're simply expecting far too much of a computer.

September 1, 2014

You have seen many good explanations for your possible misunderstanding. I am sure that speakers of all languages select words which are the best choices for each situation, but words which might not fall into the vocabularies of all speakers. If you don't understand someone, ask them to explain themselves. Most can take the time.

September 1, 2014

Sometime I can't understand too! :-)

If somebody's knowledge is not so poor, automatic translators, in my experience, are 'patch worse than holes'.
Maybe also that native speakers use idoms or word meanings which aren't common. I often ask myself when I'm speaking, or writing, in my native languages with foreign people if it is better speaking a 'minimalist' language to be sure to be understood or using more appropriate, but maybe unknown, words to show the opportunities of the language. I realized that this is a choice that must be made case by case, depending on the interlocutor... but here interlocutors are so many...
It is possible also that, mostly on the boring annoying neverending discussions about 'the angels' sex', native speakers forget that they are in a international place or, worse, they use their knowledge of the language as a cultural supremacy. This is the reason because I jump this kind of conversations with both feet.

September 1, 2014

I find your english perfect, but if you can't understand them, it could be some of this (or all):
- The vocabulary they use. I'm not a perfect english speaker and I don't know all the english words, so sometimes I get lost also. You can tell them to explain it with simple words.
- The speed! Sometimes they talk so quickly than I can't manage to understand all they say. Then you can tell them to slow their speak
- And then, the accent! The british accent! It's like (from my point) hearing a Canadian talking french!

September 1, 2014

Translators are only so good depending on the languages being translated & what is being translated.  I find the same thing when translating Spanish.  Some phrases simply don't translate into another language & retain any meaning.  And if you were speaking to the person & couldn't understand you would tell them and they would phrase it differently.  At least that's what I do.  But you can't do that with the written word, unless you ask them to say it again differently.  I doubt anyone here would have a problem with you doing that.  Even if you go back now & copy/paste the discussion you don't understand into a Question (in that section of this website) and ask about the meaning of the phrases. 

September 1, 2014
Show more