abdi
is it essential to when speaking fusha to pronounce all tashkeelaat ?? or can we make sakoon on each word ??

i noticed that on sometimes on the arabic news, some people dont use any at all and other pronounce it for somewords and leave it off for sometimes.

what do you advise ??

Sep 3, 2014 7:27 AM
Comments · 5

If you want to speak correct standard Arabic, then you should pronounce the tashkeel of last letter. However, we (or at least many of Arab people) don't pronounce the tashkeel of the last letter when we read or speak in standard Arabic. Because the tashkeel of the last letter changes depending on the word's position in the sentence. To be able to know the correct tashkeel, you have to memorise all the grammatical rules. So, if you're learning Arabic to be able to speak with Arab people and read books...etc, I'd recommend that you don't care about tashkeel of the last letter (as we don't care about it). If you want to speak perfect Arabic, and have no problem with memorising many rules, then learn it. It's up to you. 

September 3, 2014

It is not proper in terms of reading/speech, but it is Not incorrect.  People will understand you through context and common order of the sentences.  The common people would not dislike it if you spoke that way since many of them who are not fluent in fus-ha speech say it that way without tashkeel (it is easy for them to understand fus-ha in general, the problem is just with speaking it since they don't use it in daily life).  The ones who would dislike it would probably be those who are academic or are scholars and use fus-ha in most of their speeches when teaching and giving lectures, but even those individuals  would excuse people who are not fluent in fus-ha if they did that because of their weakness in the language.

My grade school kids did that when they started to learn how to read Arabic text (they left out the tashkeel of the last word when reading) so I would tell them to pronounce it since it is the proper way to read, and so they would get used to it and it would make it easier for them in the future when they learn grammer.

September 3, 2014

so like for example will is suffice to say "ureed an aarif maa ismuk" or MUST i say "ureedu an aarifa ismuka"

if someone was to leave off the tashkeelaat like in the first example, is that acceptable\??

what is the status of such a style in arabic ?? is it considered incorrect ?? or disliked ??

September 3, 2014

An addition to my previous comment:

In Arabic, we do not pronounce the tashkeel of the last letter of a word when we pause at that word or when we say it alone; such as when we list words for vocab, or when we pause at the end of a verse in the Quran, or stop or pause at the end of a sentence ending with a period or a question mark and such.

September 3, 2014

Do you mean the tashkeel of the last letter of every word  or only the last letter of the last word in the sentence?

If you mean the second, then yes, it is not necessary to pronounce the tashkeel of the last letter of the last word.  But for the other words in the sentence, even though it might be generally understood, it isn't proper, and it can affect the meaning if it is not in the usual order, for example:

Khalid hit Ahmad; it can be said in two ways:

ضرب خالدٌ أحمدَ

ضرب أحمدَ خالدٌ

Notice that the order is different but the meaning is the same, because the tashkeel on the last letter of each name tells us who is the فاعل (doer/subject) and who is the مفعول (object).

If there was no tashkeel at the end of the names, we would assume that the second sentence means: Ahmad hit Khalid, since the common and more natural order is for the subject to be before the object, but it can be switched and still be correct, and sometimes you can tell which is which by the context, like when saying: أكل التفاحة أحمد .. we know that Ahmad is the subject because apples cannot eat humans.

In the news, they use the common order, and ones that are understood from the context, so I guess  they don't find it important to always abide by pronouncing the tashkeel on the last letter, or it depends on the person if they are used to prouncing it regularly or not.

September 3, 2014