[Deleted]
The Maghreban Dialect

I think someone who wants to communicatewith people in Morocco, Algeria or Tunisia really needs to know french fist. The maghreban dialect is 40 % arabic, 40% french, 20 % berbere

I wonder how an eastern arabic person can understand people from north Africa when they speak !!!
because they don't know french whereas half of the maghreban words are in french

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmmagKT7kz4

I am curious to know what is the opinion of the egyptians 

When people talk about the arabic dialect, they usely talk about Iraqi, egyptian, shami, khaleeji, saoudi, sudani, but they usely froget the mghreban, perhaps it's not arabic at all, it's just a variation of french 

How many french words, or even entire sentences, you can pick up in this video ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo8gSTfFyM4

I think it's an interesting topic to discuss 

Sep 4, 2014 12:40 AM
Comments · 18

There most definitely exists a Moroccoan dialect , which for that matter isn't easy to understand for me.

All the dialects in the maghreb may have the same name : "darja" , but it's only because the word means "common tongue".

Also I don't think we have 40% french in the Tunisian dialect! You know what that means? It means that I can't speak 3 words without having one of them being French! Very over-estimated in my opinion. The ratio also varies between the three countries.

September 4, 2014

when i mentioned spanish i didnt mean all algerians; i meant my town because spanish people used to live in it 

September 12, 2014

I'm tunisian and I think that it's an exaggeration to say that 40% of our dialect is french.

French plays a major part in Tunisia, Algeria and Morocco likewise, taught currently from the age of 6, the majority of their people are fluent in the language, and shop signs, road signs, menus in restaurants, important documents etc are all written in French as well as Arabic.

And it's an effect of French colonisation (Tunisia: 74 years, Algeria: 130 years, Morocco: 43 years). In a similar way to the South and specially the North of Morocco (Ceuta and Melilla, two Spanish colonies until today) using Spanish, the British colonies using English as an official or second language, and over 900 English words borrowed directly from Arabic as well, but this has never made a language a variation or derivation of another. 

And the first video you provided discuss this subject, its title is "le dialecte algérien" but they're not "showing" it, the presenter is asking a question in French with an Algerian "touch", and he is not waiting for an aswer for his "silly" question, he just wanted that they notice this mixture between French and Algerian or to be clearer, the domination of French in what he is saying, and then they talked about the reasons of this domination which is the French colonisation that spreads its language and culture for more than a century.

September 12, 2014

مرحبا لاصدقایی

A change in communication culture and language of its people depend on other nations

In my opinion, well-dressed and most beautiful people in the Arab and Muslim countries : Only in Maghreb and Only Maghreb and Only Maghreb

I'm an Iranian, but I really love the people and culture of Maghreb And I love the very long journey There

September 5, 2014

I'm Egyptian. If you're living in Egypt, you'll rarely hear Moroccan, Algerian and Tunisian dialects. Because their movies, drama...etc. isn't popular here. So we can't understand them. Other dialects are understandable to us (it depends on the person, though). Especially Levantine Arabic is the easiest dialect to me after Egyptian, I think. Because many drama are dubbed into Levantine Arabic and also their singers and actors are popular here. Gulf (Khaliji) dialect doesn't have words from foreign languages so it's not that difficult. 

By the way, I heard a Moroccan song before.  Although it doesn't contain French words, I could only catch some words and I couldn't understand the song until I saw the lyrics (with some explanation!). Even when they use Arabic words only, their pronunciation is strange to our ears, so we don't understand them easily. 

September 5, 2014
Show more