[Deleted]
Learning the Dutch language - where to start?

I am a native English speaker looking to learn some basic Dutch and I am having trouble finding a starting point for learning. Does anyone have experience of learning Dutch from scratch and if so what did you find was a good place to start?

I am more than happy to help anyone who speaks Dutch with their English :)

Sep 11, 2014 11:14 AM
Comments · 9

Yes Memrise!! Very much like that website! Another good option is Duolingo, although that one doesn't allow you skip certain topics once you've started a learning path. But a plus is that it teaches you both grammar and idiom, which memrise usually does not. 
And indeed, movies, music, cartoons are all great ways to start learning languages. Online you can listen to Dutch national radio broadcasts, but they are not tailored towards learning Dutch. You could give it a shot though at www.radio1.nl. 

October 12, 2014

Yoy Laurance, jij hebt jezelf zo veel verbeterd de laatste tijd !!! Gefeliciteerd man !

Maaaar in mijn mening, spreek ik niet echt goed Nederlands, maar genoeg-goed Nederlands :D

September 11, 2014

Alex heeft goede informatie geschreven, en trouwens spreekt hij echt goed Nederlands dus misschien zou je naar hem moeten luisteren! Volgens mij moet iedereen in een manier die hij/zij het leukste vindt want als ze dat doet, zult ze vooruitgang maken. Je kan een "Self Study" boek proberen te gebruiken; ik denk dat meest mensen dat of zoiets anders gebruiken. Ik heb het gedaan en ik heeft voor mij gewerkt! Je kan ook luistaar naar Nederlandse radiozenders, kijk Nederlandse televisie, lees een boek dat in het Nederlands is geschreven zeg maar. Ik kijk eigenlijk televisie die voor kinderen is gemaakt omdat het makkelijk voor mij is om te begrijpen. Ondertiteling helpen je echt dus als je vindt een tv-programma dat dat heeft dan zal je waarschijnlijk kern krijgen.

Succes! :)

September 11, 2014

This question's answer varies, from person to person, some 'starting points' or methods might be gold for one person, and a waste for another.

What exactly did you try up until now ? What books or methods and what didn't you like about them ? It took me about 5 months to figure what my most suitable learning method is. It's more of a try and fail self-test, try some grammar, flashcards, texts, immersion and see what suits you best.

Also if you don't already know any other foreign language and this will be your first, you'll definitely need a lot of motivation.

September 11, 2014

I think it depends on the learner. for example, i consider grammar important, but for some reasons where i hear dutch i can only understand a bit of it, an i'm ashamed to speak. and i know this is not right.

anyway, dutch seems to me a very "logical" language, considering verbs coniugation, plurals and articles, and the order of the words in the phrase. once you get it, it's almost always right. and it's somehow satisfying to know it =)

so i think it's a good start to have a look at the basic grammar: articles, how plural is made, regular verbs conjugation. but then don't make my same mistake: speak, speak, speak!! =)

hope i can help somehow

January 4, 2015
Show more