[Deleted]
Language in 100 years

Hey everyone,
Let's imagine what language will be like in 100 years...grammatically and why... thoughts? 

Sep 11, 2014 10:45 PM
Comments · 8

English will split into two main varieties: "World English" and "Preservationist English."

As global warming proceeds, centers of population and political power will shift toward higher latitudes. Accordingly, World English will be controlled by the World English Institute in Fort McMurray, Alberta, capital of Canada. Its vast teams of linguists and lexicographers will be directed by a committee of representatives from six nations: the five superpowers, Canada, Northern China, Southern Argentina, Siberia, and New Zealand and a sixth member whose nationality will rotate.

World English will feature phonetic spelling, simplified grammar, and the elimination of all punctuation marks except the period, comma, interrogation mark, and exclamation point. 

It will be about as difficult for World English and Preservationist English speakers to understand each other as it is today for Italian and Spanish speakers.

Approximately 50% of the world will speak World English, and about 30% will speak it as their first language. The United States will be the most tenacious enclave of Preservationist English. It will continue to have no official language. The majority language in the U.S. will be Spanish, second most common Preservationist English, with World English running third. World English will be a popular elective in most high schools but most students will achieve only limited proficiency in it.

Canada, the U.K., and New Zealand will embrace World English more enthusiastically, especially in the big cities, but there will be large pockets of Preservationist in rural areas, and most citizens will find it wise to have a working knowledge of both languages.

The largest percentage of World English speakers will be in China, India, and Greenland.

Or, perhaps not. :)

September 12, 2014

In 100 years I'm not sure if we will talk to each other. We might end up relying on picture messages or electronic impulses. :) 

September 12, 2014

I think it would probably be Russian!

October 2, 2015

i'm thinking that there will be a mix of different cultures.. and it's result would be quite amazing!! Such a long wait!

January 20, 2015

I think it would probably be a mixture of Spanish, English and Mandarin 

December 28, 2014
Show more