Dorothy
Tell me about the educational system in your country please.

When you or your children went to school what did they learn about?

What are the subjects that are taught and how are they taught?

Do you get lessons in art, music, philosophy, geography etc.?

What languages if any are taught? 

Is the education you think effective? 

What do you think is good about the education in your country and what is bad or could be improved?

Sep 12, 2014 4:26 PM
Comments · 17

hello, im from Iran,

In my country children go to 1 year of preschool at the age of 6, then when they're 7 they go to 6 years of primary school, then 3 years of junior high followed by 3 years of high school.

During these years they study Persian, math, natural sciences, social sciences, history, geography, and most specifically and strangely religion which is naturally Islam, in a sense they get brainwashed from day one in school. Actually the education system has changed a little bit during these last years. The students used to get scores in the sclae of 0, being the worst, to 20, being the best(i used to get all the 20s ;) ). but the system has changed for primary school students, they get quality comments from teachers, like "Very excellent", "excellent", "good",..., "bad", "very bad". I should also add that English is taught from the first year of junior high which is absolutely useless mainly becasue of the method of teaching which is mostly grammar translation!!

about the efficiency of the system i have to say that it's very impractical. Teachers just teach students through lecturing them without praparing them for real life. The only thing both the students and teachers care abt is the final scores, and that has become a cultural value in our society. So those with good scores will get all the compliments, though most of them r just a bunch of clumsy nerds who can't do a thing in real life though they're great in papers. There is a lot of homework given too. There might be good point abt this educational sytem too but i rly cant see any :). Maybe the good point is that we have jobless educated people who more and more become pedantic because they have memorized sth at school without even thinking abt them, so there is no critical thinking developed in students. i should also mention that the same think goes on through university level.

September 12, 2014

Hello, I come from Suzhou, China.

In China, children go to primary school at 8 years old.

They must learn Chinese and Maths. They have English classes at the third year in the primary school. Some advanced schools have English classes at the first year.

Then, after 6 years' primary school, they go to 3 years' junior school. Then they go to three years' high school. 

During these years, they learn Chinese, Maths, English, History, Geography,usic, philosophy, physics,chemistry and so on.

Usually, they have class every day. Teachers teach students and students learn from teachers. Lots of homework is given from the teacher to students.

I think this kind of teaching style can help students deal with different kinds of exams. Students in this kind of system can learn much knowledge and grasp them very well. However, students usually are lack of critical thinking and the ability for creation.

September 12, 2014

In Mexico education is quite similar as in China and Iran then. Pre-school, then 6 years for elementary school, 3 years for junior high and 3 years for high-school. Of course, instead of learning Farsi or Chinese, we learn Spanish and then English as a second language, but the subjects are the same (math, chemistry, physics, history, geography, music etc.) The difference is that public schools in Mexico by law have to be strictly secular; religion cannot be taught in mexican public schools. It can be taught in private schools as long as they stick to the official curriculum. I wonder which country came up with the elementary-junior high-high school system?

September 12, 2014

Music or art---? A little bit, more like a token. 
Philosophy---> Yes, when I was punished and squashed and worn out by my difficult homework
Geography ---> Yes, we learned a lot of terms in geography which are impossible to visit or appreciate in the future. 

October 18, 2017
"Is the education you think effective? "

You are asking a good question that is worthy of me to ponder. I hope I could have the power to foresee my children's future in order to evaluate the effectiveness of current educational system. 
October 18, 2017
Show more