Ana Cristina Silva
Professional Teacher
Time / Horas

- Por favor, que horas são? (Please, what time is it?)
• The expression “Que horas são?” is used to ask time.
– São seis horas / São cinco horas em ponto. (It’s six o’clock / it’s 6:00 am sharp)
• The expression “em ponto” means “sharp”
São seis e vinte. (It’s six twenty)
• To answer the minutes you must add “e” between the hour and minutes
São vinte para as cinco. (It’s four forty / it’s twenty to five)
• To answer the minutes after the first 30 minutes, you can use the minutes to the next hour followed by “para as” and the next hour
São cinco e meia (It’s five thirty)
• The word meia means half
São seis e um quarto (it’s fifteen to six)
• The words um quarto means 15 minutes

Between hours and minutes you’ll use or “e” or “para as”

Am / PM
In Portuguese, when referring to “am” or “pm”, use the expressions “da manhã”, “da tarde” or “da noite”. Those expressions are used with specific time.

Sep 13, 2014 3:48 PM
Comments · 6

Em tempo...a questão das horas no Brasil:

O sistema de 12 horas é utilizado de forma informal, porém de forma intensa. É raro alguém dizer 18 horas e sim 6 da tarde [6:00 pm], mesmo nos meios de comunicação e até nos noticiários.

Mas como o Brasil, infelizmente, adota o horário 24h: se escreve 13h00, 14h00, 15h00...mas se lê 1 da tarde, 2 da tarde, 3 da tarde.

12am-6am: se diz da madrugada ou da manhã

6am-12pm: se diz da manhã

12pm-6pm: se diz da tarde

6pm-12am: se diz da noite

Curiosamente, no Brasil AM-PM tem uma conotação diferente: PM são os policiais militares e AM é uma faixa de rádio em Ondas Médias. 

September 21, 2014

Daiane

AM (Ante Meridiem) significa "antes do meio-dia" (before noon). 

PM (Post Meridiem) significa "após o meio-dia" (after noon).

Saying 21:16 P.M is complety wrong, because who use P.M and A.M just use the numbers at 12 the reason of A.M and P.M. So it should be 09:16 P.M.

Is the same you invite a friend for go to the cinema and you say: "Be in the ticket in the 21h of the night". Make sense? No, because we use the system of 24 numbers so ofc 21h will be in the night, no need explain if is the night or morning because the number 21 say automatically is in the night.

If you invite someone for go to the beach and you send a text msg saying: "We go to the beach at 10h"; I guess you don't need say: 10h of the morning. We use the system of 24 numbers.

September 20, 2014

AM and PM : AM ( After Midle day = antes do meio dia ) PM : (Before Midle day)

Now in Brasil 21:16 PM or Tomorrow in the morning 9:16 AM ... do you understand?

September 14, 2014

Sou brasileiro e gostaria apenas de acrescentar que o comentário do Peter é o mais pertinente, ou seja, no Brasil às vezes até se escreve utilizado o sistem 00h - 24h, porém na hora de falar todos nós dizemos as horas no formato 00h - 12h, acrescentando em seguida as expressões "da manhã", "da tarde" ou "da noite", conforme o período do dia.

Na prática, ninguém aqui fala AM-PM. Se virmos isso escrito em algum lugar entendemos, mas não utilizamos na conversação.

May 13, 2015

Ola, Tudo bem??. Meu nome e Mumtaz. Eu sou do paquistao..I am coming to Brazil for PhD. I cannot speak portuguese fluentely..Please help and suggest me some forum so that I can practise there.. https://www.facebook.com/sardar.mumtaz.14

December 15, 2014
Show more