Sara
Marriage... Any idea?!

I want to write an article about marriage and how the philosophers and writers described it, and what they wrote about the whole notion of marriage. 

Do you have any books titles or articles to read? and thanks a lot!

Sep 15, 2014 4:46 AM
Comments · 24

Allen - The book focuses on the US so some of the issues will be different in other countries. It primarily talks about laws related to divorce, child custody, alimony and other costs of marriage that affect men disproportionately.

September 26, 2014

For a more modern perspective, Men on Strike by Helen Smith (came out last year). It describes declining marriage rates and the increasing disincentives for men to marry.

September 24, 2014

Marriage is nothing but legal prostitution which is the most harsh, scanty quote I ever heard.

September 15, 2014

Allen said that it was a harsh and scanty quote, which I am in agreement with (note to language learners, that part of what he said was very important, you can't just look at the first part of the sentence), but I do understand what it is referring to which is the historical selling of women to men through the marriage contract and the lack of rights women have had throughout the world for a very long time. Sara, if you were to include the history of marriage in your research, you might be in for quite the startle. 

Marriage is a legal contract. Before the legal contract, we still had children and families. 

September 15, 2014
Show more