Liz
你会说... Record a voice clip in a language you would like to practice (this one is for Chinese)

Hi! i came accross an online recorder and i thought it might be a good idea to practice speaking the language i am learning by making a voice clip. this is the English version.

this post is here because i felt that i'm not getting enough speaking practice and skype contacts may not always be available and due to time differences it's not always possible to get feedback in live conversations...
to participate in this activity, simply record your voice clip on vocaroo.com, comment with the link below and leave a feedback or tip for others (don't forget to mention their user name) to help them improve their speaking and pronounciation skills.
***IF you can translate this into any other language please just copy and paste and change the beginning Do You Speak... to the language you are learning, and also the last sentence in the first paragraph.
thank you :)

Sep 15, 2014 2:16 PM
Comments · 16

Hi Lizzy,

It seems we share a common background. So what I did when I stopped speaking Chinese when I was young was that I did take some college classes (actually just one) but I still had a lot of trouble with vocabulary. I basically forced myself to speak to my mom in Chinese and whenever I didn't know something I asked her how to say it. It definitely got better over the years but I think I could've progressed a lot faster.

I think for you, you can try GLOSS on the website of the Defense Language Institute - they have different graded level texts that are short - both reading and listening. That way you can gain some vocab. But what I really recommend is watching dramas or other things you like combined with practicing listening and speaking as much as you can. I don't think you should worry too much about grammar - meaning don't do a lot of heavy grammar because you already have a base - I think it's more helpful for you to ask for feedback and for people to tell you when you are using grammar incorrectly. So I guess learn grammar in a passive way - I think the more input you get, you are going to pick up grammar naturally but focus more on gaining vocab on different topics. If your mom speaks to you in English, tell her to speak to you in Chinese only.

Let me know if this helps and any questions you have.

September 30, 2014

@HLRN, That strong deep voice!!! That's how Batman would sound if he spoke Chinese, haha. Great job!

September 30, 2014

@Lizzy, "You just walked out of your chair. LOOOOL". This is the best part of both, the video and the audio comments, haha. I unconsciously made this video funny even though I wasn't trying to be funny, hahaha.

This is a good occasion to use, 半真半假 like I said on the video.

wǒ bú shì bàn zhēn bàn jiǎ de rén, haha. But my video ended up being funny either way, haha.

September 30, 2014

@Lizzy, Thank you! I should speak more Chinese and sing less 筷子兄弟 小苹果, haha.
Oh yeah, that's true, it takes forever to upload 720p/1080p videos on youtube =-s 

September 30, 2014

@garry: xD best. chinesespeaking. effort. EVAAA lol  very entertaining luved it lol

September 30, 2014
Show more