tatsuya
Question about language exchange

こんにちはみなさん!

Have you ever done language exchange thus far? If you have, please tell me what was good and bad. If you wish, what would you look for language exchange?

Sep 15, 2014 4:19 PM
Comments · 26

こんにちは!

What is bad about language exchange here is that I couldn't have a good chance to get it.

Six weeks here but Japanese are just ignoring me.

Whenever they write that they need an exchange in English. Even the Japanese that affirm that they need any help. Or even Japanese who learn Russian which is my native language.

From the other hand, I get many messages from Turkish\Arabic\etc. men with words like ”hello sweety”, "let's enjoy lovin", ”hey sexy”. That's disgusting.

Next month I'm going to take a paid teacher here.

I have a hope that this side of italki will be effective.

September 15, 2014

Tatsu-san, you're welcome. 

In my opinion, the most important thing to do language exchange successfully, is to arrange a time with the other person. Because time difference can be a big problem, and even if there's no big time difference, not everyone has a lot of free time to chat. Arranging a time to chat once a week is a great solution for all these problems :)

September 17, 2014

こんにちはHarukaさん。

It`s nice that I can hear about both good sides and bad sides of language exchange,especially the bad one. I kind of felt the same when I used to look for a language,but as both you and I know that might be quite difficult. SO, I have been thinking about how we can find a proper one. 

Anyway, thank you for commenting and I hope that you do good with studying English. 

September 18, 2014

I used to exchange languages a lot, and I still speak with people in English once in a while.

Good points for me

First, I've got a lot of good ideas through talking with various learners. I was afraid of talking with people from abroad. I avoided practising writing and speaking. I didn't think of asking native speakers about my questions. I didn't watch or listen to something very often. I now think about those things in totally different ways.

Secondly, it is far easier to learn by heart what you come across in a conversation than when you study on your own.

Thirdly, it was useful for improving my writing skills. But it didn't work for my speaking skills at all somehow. The reason I wrote "was useful" here is that I try to learn mainly from books for writing skills. I still can't talk about a lot of things, so I should learn simple and safer ways of saying at first.

Bad points for me

If you want to practise with someone often, you should find someone as enthusiastic and serious about learning your language as you. This is more difficult than I thought. I myself lost my enthusiam sometimes. I speak with several people at the same time to solve this difficulty.

September 18, 2014

It was towards kara, and her experiences with a taiwanese person.

November 14, 2014
Show more