Kiara
Italki Points

What are these Italki points for? What do I gain after obtaining over a thousand points? I think they should give free lessons. 

Sep 15, 2014 5:15 PM
Comments · 12

You could find a langauge partner to practice with for free. We should appreciate this. And as for the site and for the teachers, it is very normal to take a money for teaching. Teachers have families to support like all of us. Would you work for free?

September 15, 2014

Who do you think should give free lessons?

September 15, 2014

Actually, I don't think the question meant to say that teachers should give lessons for free.
Just that it would be a good idea the possibility to exchange the points added up with a bonus that we could use to take lessons. The teacher would be payed as usually, it goes for itself!

This possibility would encourage the “sociability” of members. Many people would be more active and take part in the activities and the community itself would get benefit of it.

MissK, You're totally right. Looking at the system as it is now, it makes no sense.
Why one would go on adding points if they're strictly useless?
All the other sites allow to exchange points for an advantage! Otherwise, they'd better leave them out!

September 15, 2014

Actually, I kind of like the thumbs up down which accumulate into points. If someone befriends me without any points that tells me that they have had little interaction in the community and haven't added anything that anyone else thought was useful. Also when people gives me thumbs up and down, it gives me a sense of how my comment was taken by the community. It's not like it "motivates" me, but it does give me feedback about my words and information about others.

I think the reason why it didn't work for getting credits towards lessons was because people could set up multiple accounts and finagle other ways to give themselves lots of points in order to get lessons for free without actually contributing anything useful. I wish it could work! 

September 16, 2014

Don't feel bad, MissyK. It was a legitimate question, and everyone appreciates getting something for free:)

September 15, 2014
Show more