Thomas
Cultural Question about the French Foreign Legion

How is the French Foreign Legion, and those who served in it, viewed by you [French citizens]? 

Sep 16, 2014 12:49 AM
Comments · 16

They are just our cannon fodder. Every time there is a war, their are the first to be sent to the front

September 16, 2014

Azamat and Oussama, thank you both

September 19, 2014

Sophia,

- yes you can get french id, or more likely you can apply for french citizenship after being at least 3 years in legion

- no woman at all - legion is macho's world :)

- as for French or Francophone - it's about more or less 20-30 %

Thomas,

the salary is 1300 euros and you get 3 times more if you out of France in mission

to serve in legion was fun for me, off course not from the begining :)

but contract of 5 years is too much, army, in general, doesn't make you smarter :)

September 18, 2014

I saw a documentary about them one day. Here's what I remember:

The soldiers are really more like mercenaries. They come because there is a prospect of great financial gain.

They have to swear allagiance to France.

On their first day they are given new names. I remember the officer responsible for giving these names sitting to a desk that has many folders. He looks at the candidate and from one folder gives him a first name and from another a family name according to the man's ethnicity and origin so as not to call a German guy Mamadou Delpiero :)

They are required to wear the Legion's unifrom at all times when outside the barracks. There are patrols to make sure this is enforced.

They are not allowed to own property.

September 17, 2014

I'm former légionnaire, spent 5,5 years in, came from kazakhstan. now living in France. I feel good:) what exactly do you want to know?

September 17, 2014
Show more