[Deleted]
How to turn down the invite for language exchange in a polite way?

I don't mean to be rude, but I find very useless to exchange languages with people who claim to live in English speaking countries, and their profile reads things like "I'm come from..." "I'm lived in UK  for .." " I want learn the Spanish". 

I appreciate the fact that they want to add me on Skype and want to learn my language, but I think they should work on their English first before intending to help others with English. It's hard for me to say "no, thanks" and I haven't found a polite way to express that. What  would you do in that case?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions. 

Sep 16, 2014 5:05 PM
Comments · 17

What's wrong with being blunt and honest? :) You could always just say that you're strictly looking for a 50/50 exchange and that since your time is limited, you feel that you would not be able to achieve parity given your respective levels in each other's target language.

September 16, 2014

I don't mind exchanging languages with non-native English speakers. It's just that it's different when someone pretends to be a native English speaker, so that you help that person with Spanish. I don't know why there are people who go around pretending to be native English speakers when their English makes it obvious that they are not. 

September 16, 2014

Just be honest. I'm actually pretty busy so I don't really do exchanges now anyway. I just tell them I'm active on here in the answer and discussion section and if they have a question I will help them, but I cannot be a language partner on skype or QQ or whatever.

I could also put that on my profile but I would like to do an exchange with Chinese guys who are into football. It just seems most active people on here are girls. I say active, not just people who signed up and send out a bunch of invites to people they think look pretty. Before I didn't mind which gender the language partner is but when time is limited I think it's more productive to find someone with whom you share more interests. Most guys are into football and games and stuff, and for me it's more fun to talk about that. I think it's better to be blunt about that, otherwise you end up wasting your own time and time of others.

September 18, 2014

This may sound a little unfriendly, but... just ignore them. Delete the email as soon as you've read it.

If they're clearly lying to you (and yes, I've also come across a number of non-natives with terrible English who claim to be "the real McCoy" - some even offer English lessons! Flipping unbelievable.), then you have no obligation to them at all. You'll meet many more people who are "the real deal". ;)

September 18, 2014

I totally feel you & agree with you. I need help myself, so when I'm asked to be a language partner which is all the time for unknown reason; I tell them I'm not looking for language exchange right now which is the truth, and I add that if I decided to start with this issue I would choose a native speaker so she'll be able to correct me, and finally I advise them to do the same.

September 16, 2014
Show more