Kamal James
help with chinese

I am learning chinese on my own and its hard when you dont have someone in the states to talk to and practice with. what other ways can i get better please help me.

Sep 18, 2014 6:08 PM
Comments · 13

Hi Kamal! The easiest ways I've found to help with learning languages (especially Chinese) is to speak it as much as possible. Obviously speaking with a language partner is really beneficial, but you can even practice on your own to just get the rhythm of the language down. I use an app called iKnow and it will give a lot of vocabulary structured in sentences and is also has audio so you can listen to the pronunciation and repeat it out loud. Simple songs (like Disney songs) are also great and fun practice. 

For reading, try to find some graded readers (there's a series available on Amazon for Kindle called "Chinese Breeze." It's difficult at first but plowing through as many characters as you can is mportant for getting used to the writing system. 

And lastly, I use Quizlet, an online website/free phone app to make flashcards for characters I want to learn to write (I use the HSK levels as guidelines on what characters to learn and I learn 5 a day, review 25 day). I plug them into Quizlet with the character on one side and the pronunciation/English meaning on the other and try to write the character based on the pronunciation. Quizlet also has some built in cames where you can look at the character and enter the pronciation and it will even generate quizzes for you to practice will. It's very useful for reading/writing. 

Hope that helps! Best of luck in your studies!

September 24, 2014

You need a good teacher.like me.You can teach me English as payback!

September 24, 2014

You can find a language partner.If you like I can help you practice^_^

September 20, 2014

You can ask me eveything , I'll do my best to help you.

I eager to improve my speaking and listening. Maybe I cannot follow you speaking, but if you write down your words and show to me, I'll understand.

September 20, 2014

Hi James, I am Chinese,can we be student-teacher friends?

We can find ways to talk with each other every week.

September 20, 2014
Show more