Nikki K.
Learning Article : How To Improve Your English Skills By Describing And Captioning Pictures

Discuss the Article : How To Improve Your English Skills By Describing And Captioning Pictures

<a href='/article/256/how-to-improve-your-english-skills-by-describing-and-captioning-pictures' target='_blank'>How To Improve Your English Skills By Describing And Captioning Pictures</a>

They say a picture is worth 1000 words -- so doesn't that mean pictures can be used for effective language learning? Here's a great new class activity: use your creativity to caption pictures and improve your English skills in the process!...

Sep 19, 2014 12:00 AM
Comments · 24

I do picture work all the time with my students. I had to do loads of picture work at uni learning Chinese, so I know how effective these kinds of exercises are. One of my favourite picture exercises is comparing and contrasting two different pictures.  

September 22, 2014

Thank you for sharing these tips!

There are helpful. I agree with you using pictures is an effective way to make students use the language learnt, it challenges them, it's easy and fun and most importan it's student centered and not teacher centered!

Thank you :)

Michelle 

January 29, 2017

http://bogglesworldesl.com/picture_descriptions.htm -- great website to use for picture description exercises

September 30, 2014

I love incorporating picture exercises into my sessions because it also demonstrates to the student that they know a lot more than what they initially thought they did. It gives them the opportunity to see how much they have progressed. I sometimes provide the corrections during class using online collaboration tools like Twiddla (it is free).

September 23, 2014

Hi Tosha! Thanks for sharing! I have heard of twiddla but I've never used it before. I normally just share my screen via skype. :-)

September 23, 2014
Show more