Mathieu
People who don't speak the local language

I live in Quebec city.  Many people complain because many tourists don't speak French. Personnally, I think it is a little stupid because you can't ask to everyone from everywhere to be able to speak  your language. What do you think about that?

Sep 19, 2014 4:22 PM
Comments · 17

Speaking the language of natives when being a tourist allows you to really experience the culture and converse with the people to have experiences you could not have without knowing the language. Also, most natives will be very happy and help you with the language, even if you don't speak perfectly, because they appreciate that you put in time. One thing you must consider is that if you expect foreigners to speak your language when they come to your country, then when you go to another country, foreigners will also expect you to speak their language.

September 20, 2014

This oughta be interesting.

The language debate in Quebec is oftentimes difficult for an outsider to understand. Yes, James Iles, Canada <em>officially</em> has two official languages, but each provincial government decides in the province itself what the official language(s) is/are. In Quebec, it's French only. The Francophones (French speakers), after the country's takeover by the British, were always afraid that their language and culture would die out and so try, in many ways, to keep French as dominant as possible. Some even consider it an affront for people to not speak French, as Mathieu mentions, but they are in the minority. I personally don't think tourist should speak French - they're tourists! Although it would help them if they knew some key phrases.

Camilo, Quebec is home to many people, from many cultures, from all over the world. Yes, if they want to blend in and take full advantage of all Quebec and its society has to offer, they should speak French, but that doesn't happen automatically just by living there. I, for one, learnt French in school but I live in an English-speaking community and so have yet to reach fluency. Is it ridiculous? Probably. Is it a shame? Definitely. But that's why I'm on italki. People who only came to Quebec as adults have even less of chance of becoming fluent in French unless they live in an entirely French community or work in a completely French environment.

The Quebec government tried to remedy the situation by making a law that forces kids to go to French language schools. There is a loophole, though, which allowed me, and allows others as well, to attend an English school, where we have French immersion, but it's predominantly English. Regardless, that doesn't help the adults. 

That's Quebec, in answer to all your comments and questions, in a nutshell:)

September 19, 2014

I've been on vacations where there were people from Quebec and they complained that the Mexicans didn't speak French.  There's no pleasing some people.

September 19, 2014

When I met French tourists in Oxford and ask them to take their family photo in English, they answered me in French. Even outside of their territory, they required us to speak their language...I just felt awkward.

It is quite famous that French people don't like to speak English but I didn't expect that we can say same thing to French speakers in Canada as well. 

Maybe a lot of Japanese people also have the same opinion about that. Without any knowledge of Japanese language, it's hard for people to travel in local areas in my country. Some people might think in Tokyo, most of people can speak English because of 'Tokyo', but it's a just your expection. In fact, people immediately turn their eyes away from you when you try to ask something them. 

They just think 'Oops, the foreigners try to ask something me! Oh no I can't understand/speak English at all!!!'  

It's true that some of us expect foreign travelers know some basic Japanese, like how much is it? How to get ~? 

September 20, 2014

A bit irrational I could say. Some tourists might have time to learn beforw they go, but some might not. So I think tourist shouldn't be able to speak French when come to Canada for example. Except that tourist wants to stay there for months or so.

September 20, 2014
Show more