Lilly
A question about French

Bonjour, I received a first message from my French teacher. She asked me " tu parles un peu français" my question: is it ok to say "tu" shouldn't she used "vous" as I'm not a child and we're not friends. shouldn't you call other persons "vous" until you're friends. Merci!

Sep 20, 2014 12:38 PM
Comments · 6

@ Larry : it's not automatic but I would say that it's instinctive for some people to react like that since they are talking to a very young people. In a formal situation you have to use "VOUS" even if the person you talk to is younger than you.

October 16, 2014

Should you automatically use TU if it is a person much younger than you?

October 13, 2014

I've found that it depends on the teacher, some are more formal in the teacher/student relationship, others are more casual, so I'm not fazed by it. She probably thinks of you as a peer  (or maybe someone younger). You could always that you prefer to use vouvoyer, especially if you want to go through the "natural progression" of establishing relationships in French culture.

September 20, 2014

Thank you for explaining. A teacher once told me it was rude in the french culture to say "Tu" to someone you don't know. But maybe these things are different from a situation to the other.

September 20, 2014

She tell you "tu" because it's a friendly person. If you would't (dis lui:"vouvoyez-moi madame")

September 20, 2014
Show more