Gillian
What would you do if a sales assistant gave you too much money in change?

A friend was very happy the other day. She had given £5 in a shop and the sales assistant thought it was £10 so she got extra money back in change. She thought this was funny and great to have extra money! I said did you take the money back to the girl and she looked at me as if I had two heads. No she made the mistake not me! But the girl may get into trouble for it later and have to pay the shop owner. She did not care and just laughed. I was suprised as this was someone who normally seemed nice.

What do you think? Should she have kept the money as it wasn't her mistake or should she have said here is the money you've made a mistake. What if my friend was poor and needed the money?

Do you think many people do what she did these days, have thinngs changed?

Sep 21, 2014 10:26 PM
Comments · 71

You stole their bandwidth?

September 25, 2014

@" she will learn next time have more carfull."

I will repeat, you are making a fool of yourself trying to claim you are doing something virtuous by teaching her a lesson. The central issue here is not her mistake, but your dishonesty, immorality, and lack of character. And the worst of it is that you aren't the least bit embarrassed about it. I will quit here because I am obviously wasting my breath on you.

September 25, 2014

walter_mellon Exact she DIDN'T KNOW she was give me extra money she should know right?? She should pay attention, I worked almost a year as a Dealer and I'm pretty sure if I made mistakes I was out and lose my job for sure.

Oh so maybe she isn't incompetent she is distracted she should pay attention, I'm pretty sure in the end of month or week depend of country (some earn in end of month anothers week) when she pay the money missing she will learn next time have more carfull. Isn't stole, because she gave me because she didn't had attention so isn't my problem. I don't go back enter again in shop every time I see I have extra money because if I do it is for call the manager or the boss for he keep the eyes in that employer. 

September 25, 2014

She didn't knowingly give you the extra money, so that is no defense. You are stilll making a conscious decision to keep money that you know belongs to someone else. A single mistake does not mean she is incompetent. In any case, I don't know of any moral system that says it's OK to take another person's money because they are "incompetent".

September 25, 2014

@"her mistake is not my fault"

OK, but your choice not to return the money is entirely your fault. No one will catch you, but your character is about what you do when no one is looking. I think you need to give some careful thought to the kind of person you want to be.

September 22, 2014
Show more