Darek
Learn a new language by Christmas. How to learn Taiwanese?

Hello Everyone,
Welcome to my new project; I would like to learn to speak MinNan (Hokkien) also known as Taiwanese by Christmas. Given the amount of time available, I would be very happy to be able to hold a simple conversation by the end of this year and have approximately 3000 words at my disposal. I'm using books and recordings from Taiwan as well as materials published by SOAS in London and would love to have lots of opportunities to practise with native speakers. If you can chat with me in Taiwanese I would be very happy to help you with your English. Given that my ability to read Chinese is not very strong I would also welcome any suggestions with further resources to study and practise this language. I heard there is drama available in Hokkien on youtube but could not find much. I seem to remember a series called "Night Market Life" or something like that. Or songs would be nice also. I can update you on my progress and hone my writing skills; for this I can use Pe̍h-ōe-jī (POJ), 白話字, if anybody can read it here that would be great. Anyway, wish me luck and happy learning to you all! :). Darek.

Sep 22, 2014 1:59 AM
Comments · 4

Thank you KP. Early days yet. :) How are you getting on? D.

September 23, 2014

3000words/3months=~ 33 / a day....Good luck!
Seems like you're following the same trajectory as me, save for the fact you aren't that lazy.

September 23, 2014

Wow! A fellow linguist. That's fantastic. Thank you Allen, I'm now following you and hope we can connect on Skype soon.

September 23, 2014

This is the second time I find a native English speaker who wants to learn Taiwanese (Hokkien) on italki. Taiwanese is my mother language and I suppose I speak Taiwanese better than most young generation in spite I am not a professional linguist.

I am willing to help you speak Taiwanese (Hokkien), just click me and add me on skype.

September 22, 2014