[Deleted]
5 Difficult Questions To Answer

1.) How would you spend the rest of your life when you retire?

2.) Do you really enjoy your work?

3.) Why are you doing what you are doing?

4.) Are you trying to escape from the sense of helplessness?

5.) What do you value the most? 

Sep 22, 2014 12:14 PM
Comments · 1

"We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about."--Charles Kingsley

1.)  I have been semiretired for four years and fully retired for almost a year. I have been reading, walking, studying Spanish, visiting grandchildren, taking care of grandchildren on days when there is no school but their parents have to work. My wife and I took a six-week camping road trip last May.

2.)  Yes, I really did, for forty years. Of course work is work. There are bosses. There are irritations. There is worry. There is not having enough time to do a good job. There are times when I've made terrible goofs. But for me, programming computers was like playing with the world's biggest electric train set and I was always surprise that people would pay me money to do it.

On the other hand, I expected to go on doing it just for fun after retiring and but I am finding that I don't actually want to.

3.)  I live for the moment and go with the flow. I find that I have waves of enthusiasm that build and last for three to five years and then fade.

4.)  I would honestly say no. However, in my late sixties, it is true that "at my back I always year/Time's wingéd chariot hurrying near," and in a sense the mark of being old is that one's thinking and planning are affected by the realization of mortality. I would say I have a <em>fear of death</em> but I do <em>not</em> have a "sense of helplessness."

5.)  My grandchildren, my wife, my health.

September 22, 2014