italiamelissa
Learning Article : Ciao Bella! : The Origins And Use Of The Word “Ciao”

Discuss the Article : Ciao Bella! : The Origins And Use Of The Word “Ciao”

<a href='/article/257/ciao-bella-the-origins-and-use-of-the-word-ciao-studentessa-matta' target='_blank'>Ciao Bella! : The Origins And Use Of The Word “Ciao”</a>

"Ciao" is a commonly-used salutation in Italian that can be used in almost any situation. But where did this word originate from? What does it really mean? Find out! ...

Sep 23, 2014 12:00 AM
Comments · 20

I am an italian native speaker and i have enjoyed a lot the contents of the article above.. so i'd like to say a really wholehearted thank you to whom has worked it out, especially for the committed passion and the plenty of details this work displayed...along with the fierce amount of saucy witticism of the stylistic approach to it. 

I have definetely learned a lot  I could not even think of..

But, nonetheless, I feel like being able to add something for precision's sake: I don' t think the mere word CIAO can at present be widely said to shut any pre-existing social boundaries down... I mean...if you are not asked explicitely to, or at least, unless you are about to become a close friend of those you mean to address with a simple ciao when meeting or leaving them, you are neither expected nor sometimes even allowed to use it lighheartedly... the "ciao" approach could not be accepted so easily at first and maybe, being it a mutual recognition on the basis of a shared common ground as implying essentially an exchange between peers, it may be mistaken as an act of mere impoliteness... it could sound too direct, unexpected and extremely confidential to make one feel at ones'ease

November 23, 2016

La locuzione "Ciao bella" è usata nella conversazione informale con persone di genere femminile verso le quali abbiamo una discreta confidenza (indipendentemente dal fatto che il soggetto lo sia o meno, ah ah!).

E' molto usata in Toscana dove le idiomatic phrases hanno un grande seguito  e vengono usate con sottile ironia al limite della buona creanza (se qualcuno lo desidera, potrei fare degli esempi prtatici assai coloriti!!)

Stefano Sergi

Livorno, Toscana

December 17, 2015

Ecco un estratto da Wikipedia che svela l'etimo di una della parole più usate al mondo!!!

"Ciao" è entrato nella lingua italiana solo nel corso del Novecento. Deriva infatti dal termine veneto (più specificamente veneziano) s'ciao ([ˈst͡ʃao]), proveniente dal tardolatino sclavus, traducibile come "[sono suo] schiavo". Si trattava di un saluto assolutamente reverenziale, variamente attestato nelle commedie di Carlo Goldoni in cui viene pronunciato con sussiego da nobili altezzosi e cicisbei; ne La locandiera, ad esempio, il Cavaliere di Ripafratta si congeda dagli astanti con «Amici, vi sono schiavo».

Nonostante ciò, a partire dall'Ottocento si diffuse come saluto informale dapprima in Lombardia, dove venne alterato assumendo la forma "ciao". Nello stesso periodo cominciò a penetrare nella lingua italiana, tanto che nel suo Dizionario della lingua italiana Niccolò Tommaseo constatava – con un certo rammarico – come anche in Toscana qualcuno cominciasse ad usare la formula "vi sono schiavo".

Fu tuttavia la forma lombardizzata "ciao" a fare fortuna e nel secolo successivo si diffuse in tutta la Penisola[1][2].

Un'etimologia analoga ha il saluto informale servus diffuso nell'Europa centrale.

Spero che la citazione Vi sia stata utile e interessante!

Stefano Sergi

December 17, 2015

I would add a cultural specificity :

as far as I know, "Ciao", in France, is always used to say "Goodbye", and never used to say "Hello".

And the french people often write it like that : "Tchao" !

October 21, 2014

The word "Ciao" comes from the Venetian dialect and means "your slave", s'ciao.
It's a word used in the "comedies" by Carlo Goldoni.
For more information you can also see this website: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciao

September 26, 2014
Show more