Mohamed-rus
Standard Arabic (Fos-ha) or Dialect ?

Which one do you prefer to learn and why? also which one is much difficult for you ?

Sep 23, 2014 1:04 PM
Comments · 5

As a learner of fusha for some years now I can only recommend to learn "dialect". I just recently switched to Egyptian. Especially at the entry level (the most common 1000 words), the languages are very different and "dialects" also have a much less complex grammar.

Everybody is pushing you to learn MSA but it's just because there is so much status attached to this variant.

With fusha, you can show off how educated you are, but you won't be able to understand anybody since most people don't actually speak it (they will be able to understand YOU just fine of course).

If you need proof, just watch AlJazeera for a few hours. Everything scripted is in MSA but as soon as they start interviewing or debating, they all fall back onto an amalgam of their respective vernaculars without the unnecessary case system, the conjunctions etc.etc.

Skype, watch TV, read cartoons.

Only after you have mastered an active vocabulary of maybe 2000 words are you going into territory where most of the words are identical in vernacular and MSA and it would make sense to fill in the gaps of the more basic words in fusha in order to read newspapers and the like.

October 6, 2014

I would recommend to start with Fus'ha first as it will allow you to get the basics of the Arabic language from which the other dialects are derived. It would help to learn a bit from a dialect of your choice meanwhile but I wouldn't recommend focusing entirely on a dialect because that will create a lot of confusion later if you decide to learn Fus'ha and also because the dialects can be very different from one another if you do not have a basic notion of fush'ha you will have difficulties uderstanding certain dialects.

October 4, 2014

Actually if u like to talk with people so u should to learn dilalect,but if u want just read and study in Arabic the first one fosha

but I Recommend to u learn fosha first and try to gain dialect.

September 26, 2014

The two of them .

October 6, 2014

التانى زي ما بالنسبة لك :D

September 23, 2014