Marko
Exercising with language exchange partners

I have a question in regard is there any effective exercises you guys can suggest me to do with my exchange partner.

Sometimes I'm just not in the mood to speak about my personal life or some ordinary stuff, not only that I also caught myself not using the new words.

I was thinking to describing pictures, and answering some question like: what would you do if you won lottery.

I kindly ask you guys if you can share some experience on this subject as I'm very inexperienced(new) with the subject.

Thanks

Sep 23, 2014 2:30 PM
Comments · 3

I've found that describing pictures is a very useful way of learning. One of my language partners likes to send me a pdf. of a simple picture book. Instead of reading the book, we can both use it to describe the scenes in our target language. This is a great way of learning or practicing new vocabulary and language structures. For more advanced language learning, you can always take a picture from the news and try to describe what's going on there.

I completely understand what you're saying. Sometimes you're just not in the mood to talk about yourself, or you just end up sticking to vocabulary/grammatical structures you already know. I've found that describing pictures also can be a good way to move into a discussion on a certain cultural topic (i.e. maybe the pictures you're describing take place in a school. You and your language partner can then go on to talk about how the school system in your country works, etc.)

Hope this helps!

September 23, 2014

How about if, before you meet, you both arrange to read a news article about something interesting happening in the world? Then you can discuss it with your partner That will give you something different and worthwhile to talk about in addition to banal or personal topics.

September 23, 2014

When I do language exchange, I choose from the following subjects:

* hobbies

* recently seen movies

* favorite novels

* food

I hope, this is not too ordinary for you.

September 23, 2014