Gio
Pronunciation help!

Hi everyone. 

Could you please tell me if my pronunciation is improving. I mean, is understandable what I am speaking in the next 1 minute audioclip:

http://vocaroo.com/i/s1E2MyEJr5se

The subject is "Jamestown Colony"

Thanks in advance 

Sep 25, 2014 10:43 PM
Comments · 20

Hi Gio, 

Just to add to the other comments, yes the way you phrased your speech was the most distracting part, but I don't blame your accent so much. I could hear that you were just trying to get through the text word-by-word, so there were strange tiny pauses, an unnatural staccato phrasing, and any shape or intonation was lost. Try to aim for full, clear phrases instead of each single word.

Here's a short list of words I heard mispronounced: <em>entrepreneurs, region, pioneers, ill-suited, half, historical, some, artisans, laborers.</em>

I've found a text which is more-or-less what you recorded (good work - this means you spoke clearly enough that I could search for whole phrases), but for a sample text it's pretty verbose. Even for a native speaker, it's difficult to read "cold" (ie. without rehearsal). I'd suggest working on a less-complex text next time.

<em>http://www.apva.org/history/</em>;

I've made a sample recording of the first paragraph; there are a couple of glitches but enough to follow.  Listen to how I take the phrases and shape them using intonation and pauses. Also pay attention to where I put the accents in a larger sentence.

<em>http://vocaroo.com/i/s0XcYMf0GvtG</em>;

Hopefully other members might do a recording as well! ;) If you want short texts read by native speakers for reference, have a look at<em> www.rhinospike.com.</em>

Good luck!

October 2, 2014

Hi Gio! I think it's better to read English native speakers 's opinion.

By the way It's a good idea to send vocal text to test your English pronunciation.I should try it.

Off-topic :your new avatar is so cute!:)

September 26, 2014

Hey Gio,

I just want to tell you that the way you speak over skype is much more easy to understand and natural than when you are reading and recording. Your phrasing is better when you are saying your own words and thinking your own thoughts. It's all really good though! Don't feel like you have to go real fast to make it better. Phrasing isn't about speed. 

Gillian, we could call it the Gio Go for Vocal! (GioGo for short). 

October 3, 2014

Hi Gio! It seems that you have started a new craze on italki, everyone is now recording themselves, and even those learning other languages are getting into this new phenomenon! What are you going to call it?! Great!

October 3, 2014

Good effort Gio,

If you do not have a language partner to speak with that can provide you with direct and immediate feedback, then I would recommend finding an audio clip from a movie or or speech (along with the transcript) and try to imitate that.   Keep practicing one dialogue until you perfect your pronunciation and intonation.

October 2, 2014
Show more