[Deleted]
In your opinion, what are the reasons why most students cannot speak English after many years of study?

In my case, I have studied English for many years. I have taken many English courses and have gotten some "Proficiency English certificates". But, after all, I am unable to hold a conversation English. What do you think some of us do wrong when it comes to studying English?

Sep 27, 2014 6:08 PM
Comments · 28

I think it's not being exposed to the language in a native, authentic context. Most classroom learning involves grammar and vocabulary lists which is the opposite of how people learn their native language. In a sense, one is learning their language backwards and will not produce the results like a native. I think in order to be fluent, you have to learn the language the way the natives learn - which is listening, speaking, reading, writing - in that order (well maybe you can learn listening and reading at the same time).

Learning in most contexts involve a classroom which is not a natural environment to learn a language and most of us end learning "about" the languages than how to speak it. I learned Spanish in school and did well in the classes but when I had to speak with native speakers I had trouble and struggled to find the right words. On the flip side, I grew up speaking Chinese at home while living in an English-speaking country and don't have problems conversing on everyday topics with native speakers. It's all about the native environment and input and I don't believe you need to travel outside your country to create a native-like environment for yourself.

September 28, 2014

I think it's difficult because we do not live in an environment where english is present all the time, bother to learn the grammar but do not practice talking with frequency and also because we translate the word order for our mother tongue so we can not think in english.

September 27, 2014

I have heard a quote that says: "Use it or loose it!" That seems to be an explanation, why we do not remember so many things we learned as pupils/students and why we have not forgotten our mother languages.

September 27, 2014

I think, it is because of not speaking English and not being exposed to English every single day. I heard same about the certificates. Some people had FCE certificate and even though they were not able to speak fluently. Tests are something that you can cheat on quite easily, if you have a good memory. I have done many tests at schools. It was about geography, math, physics, chemistry, accounting, economy,... and what I remember? ...only a very small part of that. But I have not forgotten to speak in my language. Isn't it interesting?

September 27, 2014

Because we can't speak English in our country. If we lived in England, we would speak it like native speaker.

September 27, 2014
Show more