Victor
Questions about American Culture

What questions does anyone have about American culture? Anything.

Sep 27, 2014 10:49 PM
Comments · 50

I don't understand the question. I don't see anything fair or unfair about it. There's no belittling of other countries or anything negative about others in the definition.

September 30, 2014

Gio, what do you suggest we call them?

United Staters? I can't think of anything that would work.

If you say 'American' to any English speaker they are not going to think of someone from the Americas. They will think of someone from the USA. It's just a fact. You can be North American or South American, but yes there's no word for someone from The Americas.

You are complaining about the defintion of a word that no English speaker has a problem with.

September 30, 2014

Victor, I must admit my question was the aim to be controversial (as Bruce and Luigi said) and even polemical, actually it was a bit rhetorical. Of course I know the reason why USA calls itself "America".
As the same reason we call USM Mexico and USB only Brazil it would seems logical call USA only America. But what I'm trying to say is that the use of the noun America is glaringly wrong.

Follow the logic please I'll try to show with an easy example: when you are going in Germany (one of the most important economical country in Europe) you don't say, I am going in Europe because it is disrespectful for countries as France, Spain on so on. No country in Europe has the prerogative to call itself and only they Europeans or better everyone and anyone. 

I understand (and I hope) that "Americans" doesn't do whit maliciousness but as Romans said:

<em>"errare humanum est, perseverare autem diabolicum"</em>

I put now a italki referendum to ask USA to change his name. Thumbs up if you think I am right (or wrong)

PLEASE don't get me wrong I like US citizens ;)

PS: WTF, even google translator translates American = estadounidense

September 30, 2014

Tell me Victor,

Why do American speak so loud?

And Why don't they lock their bathrooms?;)

Why do American people throw rice on the bride & groom when they go out of the church?

And why do they tie tin cans to the bride's car?

Last question: Why do American husbands smoke cigars when they know that thier wives are pregnant? 

September 28, 2014

Do you find fair call yourself "Americans"? I mean, what about other countries set in America?

September 28, 2014
Show more