Julia
Tell me about yourself

If you meet a person for the first time, what do you say in your introduction?  "Tell me about yourself."  Just like a job interview.  I want to figure out a brief few things to say when I meet a person who speaks my second language.

What does the person I meet want to know first?  What will spark a conversation?

Obviously start with "Hello, my name is ..."  

Maybe include something like 

"Although I am an American, I am learning Korean now, because I think Korean is interesting."  

Should I end with a question?  

I appreciate your input.  Thanks in advance.

Sep 29, 2014 1:38 AM
Comments · 4

Hi Julia. Personally when I chat online I begin saying "tell me something about you: study, work, sport, everything you want ". Nevertheless, I avoid asking specific questions that could embarrassing other person. (e.g. where do you work? or what is your job? it couldn't be nice to answer if that person is unemployed). I never ask about feelings (do you have a boyfriend?) because I don't want other person misunderstand the reasons why I am chatting with it . I don't lie about me but I don't say everything about me at the first chat/meet

In the real life is more easy because it depends where you know that person. For example if I know someone at supermarket I talk about prices, food, receipts or if I know a girl at the College I ask about courses, professors, and so on.

PS: feel free to correct me

September 29, 2014

I am ola from egypt .iam 18 years old .i am just have been accepted at the korean departement at faculty of alsun that's it 

September 29, 2014

Hy Julia. My name is Ramadani. Iam from Indonesia. do you know?
Nice to meet you
:) 

September 29, 2014

There's a great talk to me in korean episode about self-introductions. There are good phrases in here that are worth memorizing: http://www.talktomeinkorean.com/lessons/level-2-lesson-11-self-introduction-자기소개/

Here'a a simple way to explain why you're learning Korean:

줄리아입니다. 한국어 재어있어서 배웁니다.

I'm Julia. Korean is interesting so I'm learning it. 

September 29, 2014