Attorney-Lucy
how to improve legal English

hi, everyone. Who knows any methods to improve legal English?

Sep 29, 2014 12:47 PM
Comments · 18

I know Legal Union in Shanghai offers specialized courses in legal English. Have you tried them?

September 29, 2014

By "legal English" do you mean legal terminology used by English speaking lawyers?

September 29, 2014

Synonym is a very important issue you have to concern.  On the contrary, those abstruse legal terms are often been well defined where you may check in professional dictionary.

October 8, 2014

Actually, I'll even add that you need to be <em>very</em> precise with your grammar and punctuation, as well as with the words you choose. For example, if some part of a contract is unclear, then it's open to interpretation.  This is exactly what you don't want when you work as a lawyer.

September 30, 2014

I think Peachey makes a good point. If you're working with legal English in your work, you will need to be very precise in your vocabulary and very knowledgeable with technical jargon because what something means in plain English may not mean the same thing in legal English. Just one misinterpreted word can have large ramifications in a contract.

I'm told that English legal terms may be more confusing at first compared to Chinese legal terms. For example, the word "consideration" means one thing in plain English and it means something different in legal English. So you just need to know when to use what in what situation.

October 2, 2014
Show more