Caroline L-B
Community Tutor
Learning Article : An Introduction To French Genders

Discuss the Article : An Introduction To French Genders

<a href='/article/271/animals-in-french-easy-introduction-to-french-genders' target='_blank'>An Introduction To French Genders</a>

Animals in French have different genders. Different from what we may think, these genders are not biological; rather, they are grammatical. Read on to learn how to properly say each of the animals in French!...

Sep 29, 2014 12:00 AM
Comments · 14

Hello Freshette. Poulain is a very common surname in Canada, maybe that's why you now it. About babies, here's a little list: Monsieur Canard, Madame Cane, bébé caneton. Monsieur Chat, Madame Chatte, bébé chaton. Monsieur Chien, Madame Chienne, bébé chiot. Monsieur Lapin, Madame Lapine, bébé lapereau. Monsieur Rat, Madame Rate, bébé raton. Monsieur Lion, Madame Lionne, bébé lionceau. Monsieur Loup, Madame Louve, bébé louveteau. Monsieur Tigre, Madame Tigresse, bébé tigron. Monsieur Dindon, Madame Dinde, bébé dindonneau. Monsieur Cheval, Madame Jument, bébé poulain & pouliche. Monsieur Porc/Cochon/Verrat, Madame Truie, bébé porcelet. Monsieur Bœuf/Taureau, Madame Vache, bébé veau. Monsieur Coq/Poulet, Madame poule, bébé poussin. Monsieur Mouton/Bélier, Madame Brebis, bébé agneau/agnelet.

April 23, 2015

Hey, Caroline, I am sorry you won't publish more articles. I found your keep it simple sentence structure blueprint article very illuminating! I was going to ask, but understand if you don't answer, about the names of young animals. I know a few like chatton and poulain (for some reason), but if it doesn't show up in a song, I have not learned it.

April 23, 2015

I found it interesting (and hilarious) how for certain animals, there is a different name based on whether it has been castrated!

September 30, 2014
Thank u for sharing this information with us.😊
February 22, 2019

Interesting in depth analysis of the tale! I guess I've never put much toughs onto this. I looked for some pictures, and saw that some French speakers dress the cigale as a male!  https://cequetulis.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/la-cigale-et-la-fourmi.jpg and http://ekladata.com/litteratureprimaire.eklablog.com/perso/poesie%20cp%20ce1/la%20fontaine%20-%20la%20cigale%20et%20la%20fourmi.jpg despite the female gender of the word!

As for scampi and crayfish, I think they are different animals. I think crayfish is a fresh water beast whereas a scampi is a sea water creature. Not to mention that the first one is not very tasty in my opinion! I don't like crayfish sandwich, whereas I'm always up for a deep fried scampi.

December 6, 2017
Show more