simplyme
Is it a Part of Russian Culture?

About 5 years ago, there was a group of Russian from some badminton clubs in Russia came to Jakarta for “friendship match” between our badminton club and theirs. There were around 15 people of men and women aged around 25 – 55 years old. They stayed  for 10 days and  I was chosen by our club to be the guide leader during the program.  We had some matches in some cities in Indonesia and in each city we made a leisure trip for them to some interesting/tourist places . They were very nice people, they enjoy their time here and very satisfied with the program. It was such a great feeling for me to see them happy.

It’s time to say good bye for us. We got so emotional  and sad to end the great time we’ve shared. At the airport, before they go through the immigration, I gave my hand for a “farewell  handshake”  but by turn, they pulled  and hugged me instead.  I was so touched and happy for this, I assumed they really liked my companionship. Except for others, on their way to Immigration, these 2 young beautiful women  (they were the youngest in the group and both so closed to each other) were running back to me, they hugged me and kissed me on the lips, smiled then went off.

I’ve been curious until now,  is “the kiss on the lips” a part of Russian culture or since the older ones didn’t do that, is it a culture among the young people in Russia?

Sep 30, 2014 4:34 PM
Comments · 3

NO, we don't kiss on the lips other people.) Mens just shake the hands, womens don't shake, but hugs each other. But... sometimes close friens (girls, often teenagers) may kiss on the lips each other, if they are very close friedns. So they were happy with you and took you as you're their closest friend. 

P.S. Don't kiss women in Russia if you see her for the first time.)

And sorry for my English.)

September 30, 2014

Maybe they had seen you picking your nose before that, so they hadn't a lot of choice except hugging you.. :p

October 1, 2014

Thanks a lot for your explanation alex :)

October 1, 2014