[Deleted]
Is it worth to study a foreign language abroad?

This question comes to my mind, since I have noticed that some of my friends who studied English abroad did not improve much, to be honest. I do not know if I should take an English course abroad, taking into account the fact that the investment is huge. I have looked into the curriculums of the language schools, and they are the same as the courses I have taken in my city, only grammar rules. 

I would like those who have studied English abroad to tell me if they made any progress by enrolling in English classes abroad. For example, are you now able to hold a conversation in English fluently? Does your English flow as your mother tongue? Could you reduct your accent?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to reading your comments. 

Sep 30, 2014 6:59 PM
Comments · 8

I know I have always learned a lot more quickly by traveling in another country.  Another option to consider is spending an extended amount of time, like several weeks or a summer, working in an English speaking country as opposed to enrolling in a formal course.  This might make it less of an "investment" and it might also be more fun.  I would recommend arranging to volunteer for an organization or find an internship to ensure you have plenty of social interactions.  I can be very hard to meet people outside of a work or school context.  I know church groups and monasteries have volunteer situations where the food and housing is also included and there are probably many other opportunities you could find with some effort.

October 1, 2014

I have never studied abroad but I noticed the international students with near-native or native-like English language skills spent a lot of time with the native speakers, joining the clubs, fitting into local university life.

The ones that did not really improve hung around with people from their same country and only socialized with those people.

So I think you have to be willing to be open-minded, take a risk and not be afraid to try new things. For example, at my university, the Chinese students who had trouble usually chose to stay within their own circles, lived with other Chinese and didn't venture outside and chose to rely on hobbies from their native country like badminton. They also complained that no Americans wanted to be friends with them. They chose to be passive rather than active.

The ones who were able to achieve a native-like proficiency hung around with Americans, went to football games and weren't afraid to be pushed outside their comfort zone. So I think having curiosity helps.

Sure, the language barrier can be a factor but I think a lot of it depends on personality. For the students who went outside their comfort zone, I think they had a really enriching experience and made friends for life. Good luck!

October 1, 2014

"Is it <em>worth studying</em> a foreign language abroad?"

Will studying a language abroad boost your language skills more than if you studied in your own city? No, not really. Still, language learners (especially those who've never travelled) like the idea.

Of course, you will make an improvement, just like you will in any decent English course. But living in the US (for example) is not a magical boost. Like you, I've met, taught and lived with plenty of people who travelled to "where the language is spoken" and lived there, but didn't become native-like in their second language. Some are still struggling at elementary level. Some have given up, far too quickly.

Like others have said, it really depends on your own focus. The opportunity is there, but you need to take it.

If you make the effort to go out, be sociable and interact in English, as well as study hard, then you'll improve. If you take a casual approach to the course and chat mainly with other learners, it'll be fun but you'll probably hit a plateau. Your group of co-learners will accept "not really right, but kind of understandable" as your standard. If you hang out with only Spanish speakers outside the course because speaking your own language is easier, then you'll make very little progress.

October 1, 2014

Camilo, I think it entirely depends on how you make use of your time. There are so many advantages to studying abroad, not only in the field of study, but in the way it opens you up to a whole new culture.  You will learn not only about the host country but also about your own, and yourself.  However, if you only hang around with people who speak your native language, surely your learning process will be slower, and your cultural experiences fewer.  If you go to a place where your language is pervasive then you will have fewer opportunities to speak your target language.  But if you separate yourself from others who share your native tongue, you will have a very enriching experience, you will grow a lot!  Be aware, you will come home a different person.  Living abroad is a life changing experience in so many ways.  I have lived in Japan, write me if you have more questions about my experiences any time.

September 30, 2014

You are right Camilo, most English languange schools/courses do have same curriculums. What make study English abroad from taking courses in your country different is that you have opportunity to speak/practice the language everyday with native speakers.

But then, your commitment really counts for your success. In my case, at the end of my 6 months English course in Australia, I was able to speak English fluently. While my friend, who had lived there for 3 years and was going to university to obtain a bachelor degree when I first met him, couldn't speak English fluently, far from fluent I might say. I think it was because it's not himself who really wanted to study abroad, his father sent him to Australia to study. He chose to live in a shared apartment with other Indonesia students, he chose to socialize with Indonesian, he even chose to eat Indonesian food most of the time :D (and it wasn't cheap at all). Once I asked him to speak english to me so I could improve my English, he was laughing out loud instead :O

October 1, 2014
Show more