Joy Boy
Hello there, do you know Jean-Jacques Rousseau, the most famous swiss author ?

What do you know about him ?

Oct 1, 2014 7:04 PM
Comments · 8

Sorry, I honestly don't know very much about Jean-Jacques Rousseau.  However, I do know about Jean Henri Dunant , a.k.a. Henry Dunant, who is among the most famous Swiss authors of all time.  He wrote the book "A Memoir of the Solferino", which was about his eyewitness accounts in the aftermath of the Battle of Solferino. It was his vivid and graphic descriptions about the violence and brutality of armed conflict, which did inspire the creation of the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) in 1863 and The Geneva Convention in 1864. He won the first Nobel Peace Prize. There are very many Swiss Nobel Prize winners. Why is there such a high percentage of Swiss people who are such great economists, scientists and humanitarians?  I have a very deep respect, admiration and affection for the peace-loving and intelligent Swiss people. :)

October 2, 2014

In the US his Social Contract is generally taught as part of intro political theory courses and contrasted with the ideas of Locke and Hobbes.

October 2, 2014

Are you talking of the political philosopher? I think he was born in Genevra. By the way, I kwow him, he developed "the contract theory" I studied his thought my first year at College. 

<em>"Man is born free and everywhere he is in chains..." </em>

October 1, 2014

I also thought he was Frnech. I guess he lived in both places though and he was a major influence in the French Revolution so he had a big impact on the French. Also its a French name but the Swiss have Frnech speaking Cantons.

October 1, 2014

I have studied a little about him when I was doing an online course about modernism and post-modernism... I had fun reading his works...
even though I don't remember it very well ^^' a philosopher that thought something about humans should go back to a primitive state when nature and instincts are the only motivator ...

October 1, 2014
Show more