yhemusa
There must be something different between WEST(, EAST,NORTH,SOUTH) and WESTERN(, EASTERN,NORTHERN,SOUTHERN)

It's not a problem for native english speakers that what's the difference, or where you use west and where western; but for non-native speakers, it's otherwise rather bewildering.

There must be something different, or else they would not coexist in commen english vocabulary. The explanation in dictionaries and teaching articles are not insistent. This hence make it even more confusing for me.

Dear english speakers, what do you feel the difference is actually?

Oct 2, 2014 2:33 AM
Comments · 6

It's largely (but not completely) arbitrary whether to use, say north or northern/south or southern/east or eastern/west or western as a modifier.   If a place were nearby me that is south within some few kilometers of where I am, then I would tend to use "south" as a modifier. For example, the "south" side of the street, building, parking lot or the "south" part of town.  If a place were far away from me that is a "southern" part of a city, continent, state or nation, then I would use "southern" instead of "south".  For example, if I were far away from "southern" Germany, then I would say that I'm far away from "southern" Germany.  However, if I were actually in the "south" part of Germany, then I would say that I'm in "south" Germany instead of saying that I'm in "southern" Germany.  I hope you now understand the subtle differences in how native English speakers use directional adjectives such as east/eastern, west/western, north/northern or south/southern.   

October 2, 2014

I mean what the difference is when north and northern are used as adjectives.

October 2, 2014

The points on the compass are nouns. Those words derived from those nouns ending in -ern are adjectives.

October 2, 2014

South/North etc are nouns, often used in names - such as North Korea and South Korea.

Southern, northern etc are adjectives, use to describe a general area.

So, for example, South Africa is the name of a country with specific boundaries, and has a political meaning.  By contrast 'southern Africa' is a more general term to describe the more southerly part of the continent, and is a geographical description.

October 2, 2014

Thank you Englishrevered! With your detailed explanation I think I've got some idea about the use of north, northern, etc. It seems that the words with -ern end are largely used in the context meaning the place more distance, larger, exterior, or vaguer of boundary. Maybe this understanding is not accurate, but it really help if it's right.

October 2, 2014
Show more