Profe José
Professional Teacher
Languages of European origin!

Do people,(especially in Asia), consider the European forms of Spanish, French, English, Portuguese, Dutch, German, etc, grammatically more correct?

Oct 5, 2014 12:20 AM
Comments · 8

As opposed to what? Asian languages? Or the Spanish used in Latin America, the French used in Africa, the Portuguese used in Macao, etc? Or do you mean the way Asian people learn/speak those languages?

October 5, 2014

Actually, one of the great aspects of italki is that I can have instructors with different dialects and accents so I can get exposure to a wide variety of Spanish, by having sessions with instructors from Spain, Mexico, the Caribbean, Central America, or South America. 

October 30, 2014

1st Some countries had colonies because of that the places colonized started speak that languages and the formation of structure has changed, in some cases more than in others but the original, the formation of the languages comes from the original country and a lot of languages just have 1 version as it's the case of Dutch where you have dialects.

2nd In schools of Europe we study the European version, I studied 11 years British English and 3 years French because it's mandatory in my country.

3rd In a lot of ex-colonies they learn the original version, example of countries in Africa, Macao and Goa where people learn Portuguese they learn the european Portuguese but ofc they have own expressions, slang, accent, pronunciation etc BUT in Brazil they study brazilian Portuguese, the Brazil got 1st the independence than they and also more years ago. The country has many languages that are not considered official because of this and also because of of many immigrants the language suffered many loanwords. Has many more differences than for example inside of English language.

4th Just because the language isn't the original or because exist more than one standard version doensn't mean isn't correct, the American English still correct as the British one.

In my case I prefer learn the standard language or where the language born and not just because have a huge number of speakers or it's more popular. In my opinion we should learn the "Standards" where the language it's from, but without forget the dialects or sub dialects and discover the differences, expressions, how the anothers speak and also the cultures where the language it's also spoken.

October 30, 2014

I meant do people from other parts of the Globe consider the standard European forms correct, and the other forms, especially in the Americas sub dialects?  I see people debate this a lot, and seem to favor the European forms.

October 5, 2014

I find that when people are preparing for serious examinations, or are learning writing structure, they prefer the European version.  If it's just plain ole conversation, or if they happen to be studying or traveling in the "Americas", then they prefer the transatlantic version. 

November 20, 2014
Show more