Reaganomics
What are some differences between Japanese Everyday Speech and American Speech?

Is anyone here a Japan native who spent some time in Japan, or an American who has spent some time in Japan? I have this essay to do where we compare things such as 日本の男の人の言葉 and 日本の女の人の言葉 with English men's and women's speech. However, I don't really think there is men's and women's speech here in America, or at least where I live (we all talk the same way). The difference is pretty neutral. I can talk to a female the same way I would talk to one of my male friends and vice versa, and it wouldn't be the least bit weird or offensive.

However, are there any situations you have noticed where you hear things being said differently in America as opposed to Japan? For example, I've heard that when you go to a store in Japan, the cashier doesn't tell you to have a good day when you are leaving the store, but here in America, it's almost second nature to do so. Therefore, a Japanese person shopping here might find it to be a tad bit weird and not know how to respond. Does anyone have any other examples?

Oct 5, 2014 4:13 PM