Doug
Learning Article : What Does 'Would Of' Mean? Don't Make This English Grammar Mistake!

Discuss the Article : What Does 'Would Of' Mean? Don't Make This English Grammar Mistake!

<a href='/article/276/what-does-would-of-mean-dont-make-this-english-grammar-mistake' target='_blank'>What Does 'Would Of' Mean? Don't Make This English Grammar Mistake!</a>

Do you feel confused by the phrases "Would of", "Could of" or "Should of"? Don't make this mistake! Learn why "Would of" should be "Would have", and why even native speakers make this common mistake.

Oct 8, 2014 12:00 AM
Comments · 79

Have you heard Weird Al Yancovic's Word Crime? It's excellent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gv0H-vPoDc

Also, what do you say when you are comforting a grammar nazi? "There, Their, They're." ;-)

October 8, 2014

Frankly speaking, I've never met such phrases. I think, it because, I talk to well-educated native speakers only. )))

October 12, 2014
We hear "could of" because when spoken the h sound in the word "have" gets dropped. This happens so we can speak more quickly. also the f sound in "of" is softer than the v sound in 've. When most people speak they don't even say 'of', but say 'a' (I woulda, shoulda, coulda) this blending and dropping of sound makes speaking faster and easier. Spoken English and written English are very different. No native speaker annunciates every sound when they speak otherwise they'd sound like a pretentious dork or a robot. "Gonna" is not grammatically correct either, but it is the way we say "going to". We say "n" instead of "and", and we say "in" instead of "ing". A perfectly written English sentence: "I could have went shopping today." This is what you'd most likely hear in America: "I coulda wen shopin taday". 
February 20, 2016

You cannot be serious? 

Why does it affect you how other people choose to speak? Please answer me that.

You seem to be quite angry even, I found your article quite strange. Yet another form of

brainwashing, telling people "you should speak like this", "you should write like this", thats right,

lets make people into little puppets who have no mind of their own. 

People can use their own mouths however they want, fortunately for the rest of us, you cant control that. You even admit you know what people mean when they say those things so what exactly is your problem lol? "Education system failed"? I say more like people have escaped being brainwashed.

Haters, Im ready for ya :)

October 29, 2015

Wow i love this article. I want to see articles like this more !! Thank you.

October 10, 2014
Show more