فهد Jaguar
the difference in meaning between (Negro man and a black man?)

What is the difference in meaning between the word: Negro man and a black man?

Oct 11, 2014 4:09 AM
Comments · 45

It's the same but negro is an old word from 1960's and black people fo not like to be called negro today it is considered a racist word. Ypu can also say "person of color" .

October 11, 2014

I wouldn't use that word because that word describes black people negatively. If someone said that to me I would be mad.

October 11, 2014

And let's not confuse nationality (italian, spanish...) with race! There are many white south africans (born there): they call themselves african (still, they are white!)

I think we have to be careful when we put a label on people: we are on dangerous grounds here!

October 11, 2014

I think Ben has a really good point. Why don't we start calling people by their name not by their color?

I mean if you know a guy/girl it would be much polite say: Today I knew a guy/girl (who cares if he/she was black, white, brown or even green) maybe we could only say I met a guy from Africa/China/Italy and so on. 

Thanks Ben you opened my eyes. 

October 11, 2014

Dorothy, why do we want to put people in categories, in boxes? 

When I go to the Philippines, they call me "puti"  (white). Is that all right? I am not offended (life is too short) but I'm not particularly happy about that either, even they keep on telling me that it is meant as a compliment!  Huh? 

We are all humans, or aren't we?

Anyway, with all the interracial marriages, I think we could well end up with one single colour: something between black and white.. Pure races will become the exception...just a thought...

October 11, 2014
Show more