Megumi@Ibaraki
How is a housewife viewed in your country?

How working for other than their family is important for women in your country?

It seems that some career wives look down on housewives whereas some housewives regard themselves to be more fortunate than career wives.

Although it depends on the couple and their preferred lifestyle, do you or your spouse prefer staying at home to working outside home? 

Oct 11, 2014 4:51 AM
Comments · 19

While I agree with Berneddi that this doesn't seem like progress, one reason that both parents "need" to work is due to the new "requirements" of families.  When I grew up my Mother stayed at home.  But we lived in a very modest house, owned one car & one television.  Our phones were landlines (obviously, ha ha) and there were no computers.  There were no commodities (phones, televisions, appliances) that we felt obligated to replace on a constant basis other than when they had lived out their useful life, which was typically a very long period of time.  We travelled primarily within our province, by car and spent very modest amounts of money doing so.  What I'm getting at is that we lived within the means of the salary that my Father earned but still wanted for nothing.  But compared to today we would be considered paupers.  I imagine that many more single earner families could thrive if they were satisfied with the amenities of our past.

p.s. I do agree though that inflation has increased the prices of most goods and it is difficult to get by.  And geographic location must also be considered.  The hollowing out of the middle class, lowered salaries, unemployment also makes life more difficult.

October 16, 2014

In Brazil, live is very difficult.

Although we still have a very sexist Latin culture, where women have to stay at home to take care of the children and the house, in reality this is not possible anymore. Women must also work out in order to help pay the house bills and private education for their children. Public education in Brazil is horrible and condemns these children to a life of misery and low paying jobs.

October 11, 2014

I mean, it's theyr problem is they don't understand how different people are) It's nice to have an opportunity to be a housewife, if you can really use it for the greater good - the same with other opportunities:)

And to answer on the second question - 'living solely on someone else's income' - highly depends on 'whose' income. Why should we apply any rules here?

October 20, 2014

U.S. housewives are viewed mostly at home :)

October 18, 2014

Here in the US it is hard to survive off of one income. Both people have to work in order to make ends meet. 

October 13, 2014
Show more