Camilla
africans living in china

Hello everyone!

at university my professor assigned me a project about africans migrating to china (especially nigerians in guangzhou) .

Is there anyone that had first-hand experience with this situation? have you heard about this topic? 

please share your opinion and knowledge with me ^^

thank you in advance

Oct 13, 2014 10:39 PM
Comments · 5

I've lived in both Africa and China.  Have you looked at the "Little Africa" neighborhood in Guangzhou?  I've been there.  It's a hugh market for second hand goods- jeans, shoes, music.  Most Africans live there illegally, and from time to time the police make them "uncomfortable" to encourage them to get out.  I know a lot of Nigerians live there, as well as people from Mali and some of the other west African countries.

If you want an opinion.... I don't blame the Africans for moving there and trying to make a living.  If you look at Africa, chinese companies and migrants are EVERYWHERE.  There are way more Chinese in Africa then the other way around.  I've heard Africans (living in Africa) talking about the "Chinese colonizaion of Africa."  But I understand China makes it very difficult for Africans to get visas.

if you don't know anything about "visa reciprocity" you might want to investigate it.  Basically, country A let's country B's people enter, then country B will probably let country A's people.  China doesn't have reciprocal visas with most African countries.  But industry is different- that's why you see so many Chinese companies opening factories and building public works in Africa.

I am also a professor of tourism, which is why I know about the visas.

Good luck with your paper. :)

October 14, 2014

With my knowledge there turely be some african people having migrated into mainland China, but the quantity is very limited, and most of the migration is secret and illegal. As to the specific information about the legal and illegal(estimated) migration, you may consul the minister of public security of PRC, the public security bureau of Guangdong province or the public security bureau of Guangzhou city. You'd better explain to them why you are requesting the information. I guess they'll be willing to help if the data is not classified( I suppose so).

October 14, 2014

主要是平均英语水平不是很高,会给来中国生活的African带来诸多的不便。

November 1, 2014

thank you very much for your contribution:)

October 15, 2014

If you have not understand these, maybe I can help you, I live in Chinese, hope to help you.

October 14, 2014