[Deleted]
For those that learnt Classical/Qur'anic Arabic to better understand the Qur'an...

How long did it take? I'm assuming it's quicker than other language pursuits, considering it would only entail what is discussed in the Qur'an and doesn't delve into everything else.

Oct 14, 2014 8:51 PM
Comments · 8

Mike, I understand it is ok to push learning Islamic Studies back till you gain basic knowledge of classical (Fus'ha) Arabic dialect. I suggest to look for a good institute in your area that teaches classical (Fus'ha) Arabic. It will be difficult to learn online without a profesional teacher as you are aiming to understand Quran, not to just have some basic Arabic knowledge. Nevertheless you can surely start with basics online. Regarding this website you have mentioned, natives of Arabic will be able to tell you better.

October 14, 2014

I agree with what Mumtaz have said. I have not learned it but I know non natives of Arabic who have learnt to understand Quran and all of them had been students of Islamic studies. It is not possible to understand it purely by learning Arabic. Even after that the understanding remains pretty basic for most of them and they rely on classical explanations of Quran by others. The most famous being Ibn Katheer. Almost all major translators/interpretors(tafseer writers) take from the interpretation of Ibn Katheer.

Trying to understand and interpret the rhetoric and eloquence of Quran is a never ending process but to reach even a basic level you will need many years (including the Islamic studies), do not go by any flashy ads by some organizations.

October 14, 2014

I don't know Mike, but rhetoric in Quranic verses is not that easy, I mean if Arabic is my mother tongue & I read Quraan daily and I still look for words meaning every time, then I guess it's not really easier than understanding Arabic in general. True Quraan is just one book, but the eloquence in words don't make it a natural thing to read and understand right away, unless you're into Islamic studies and focusing on Quraan in the courses. Anyway, I hope Arabic learners will tell you about their experiences, good luck.

October 14, 2014

MSA is fifferent from classic Arabic. Arabic has—for various practical reasons—been categorized into three variants: Classical (Fusha), Modern Standard (MSA), and Colloquial (Ammiya).

Fusha is the oldest form of Arabic and is the language of the Quran, sacred texts, poetry and religious sermons.

Modern Standard Arabic is derived directly from Fusha and has become the language of correspondence and discourse, the media, contemporary literature. MSA is still considered a formal, mainly written language that is not really used in daily interactions, but is largely taught in Arab schools and used at workplaces, business circles, and governmental offices.

Colloquial Arabic, or Ammiya, refers to national and regional dialects that occupy popular culture media; including movies and music, and public communications. The Middle East and the North African region carry numerous forms of Ammiya that differ according to geography, socio-economic, as well as religious concerns. Linguists have generally considered a dialectical division existing between the Middle East and North Africa, followed closely by a division between conservative Bedouins and sedentary dialects.

Source: http://www.qasid.com/colloquial-ammiyya-courses/

October 15, 2014

If I have to go through learning a modern, standard Arabic dialect, I suppose I will.  I was hoping that a Quranic Arabic course would be enough.  I'm not planning on talking to anyone in Arabic, just being able to write, read, and understand what's in the Quran better than what I can in English translations.  I think I'll push it back and play it by ear.

October 14, 2014
Show more