Stef Guilly
What is your favourite thing about English?

Too often we get sidetracked by things that we struggle with. We talk about how we wish we could learn more vocabulary or watch movies. We wonder about the Present Perfect and why we haven't figured it out yet (it's been years!) We get discouraged... 

Learning another language is hard. This doesn't mean we can't add some joy to the process! Tell me - what is your FAVOURITE part of English?

Is it learning interesting expressions?

Is it watching music videos? 

Is it being able to talk for more than 2 minutes at a time (about something other than the weather)?

Oct 17, 2014 6:59 PM
Comments · 14

My favorite thing about English is that there is no official authority. English is whatever English speakers speak, and the lexicographers just record it. I like the fact that nobody tries to police the purity of the language, and that English speakers happily and merrily borrow words from any language. 

October 24, 2014

Have you guys seen this website for listening to music in English? 

http://lyricstraining.com

It's free and it's fun. You listen to the song and you have to add the words that you hear. You can choose the levels! 

October 18, 2014

Great comments!

I love the compound nouns as well, I think they are a lot of fun.

I'm interested in phrasal verbs - I get a kick out of using them because, as a teacher, I realize that I am doing it. Many native speakers don't realize they are using these secret codes. There are more than 6000 phrasal verbs in the English language and I don't know them all. 

The point about the avaliability of content is interesting. I've never thought about it like that before.

I love watching films in original languages. I think a lot of the content can get lost in translation. I love watching films in French or Italian. 

October 17, 2014

The fact that It allows you to speak to so many people! Googling for something in Arabic will not return a fraction of the results that you can get by searching for the same thing in English.

October 17, 2014

I like compound nouns like "ashtray" "or "doughnut" though I preffer doughnuts to ashtrays ^_^

October 17, 2014
Show more