Fantom
Language exchange by Skype

Hello everyone!

My name is Sergey and I have a question to ask.

There are a lot of people who are interested in language exchange (according to their profiles). At the same time they don't use (don't want to use?) Skype.

I received a lot of emails with skype-id but I have never met people there...you may say "because you have a time-zone difference". That's odd...what will you say on that - I sent them emails but didn't receive answers after that?

One of my "favorite" case is when we had a formal talk (like hello-hello-how do you do-I am fine, thank you, and you?-I'm fine, thank you) and then the person said "I will back soon, I have to go to store." A couple of hours later I sent a message like this one "Are you here?" but received no answer. Since that I have not received any messages from this person. :-) I hope the person is OK. ))))

Here is my question.

How do you want to improve your language skills if you don't use on-line tools?

Oct 17, 2014 7:40 PM
Comments · 17

My opinion is that in this website there are many people who are not really decided (determined I mean) in learning a language and few people who are instead. That is the reason why people contact you and then they defect. Most of these people underestimate the difficulty of learning a language and think that they will be able to speaking at the first chatt/lesson and when it doesn't happen they go away. They don't understand that the speaking practice is the only way to really feel a language.
Stupids!
PS: I am determined in learning English.

October 18, 2014

@Fantom  1. I think the girl simply lost the interest. You have mentioned that you did have a short small talk before she left, right? I know, it sounds stupid, but some people just don`t cope well and she maybe decided that she does not cope well with you (yeah it is ignorant to decide it after only 5 minutes, but hey common you cannot like every single person :D). So, I think she was searching for an excuse not to talk to you because she had changed her mind to do it with you ( I do not say that you are a bad person lol)

2. Yeah, I don`t expect people to understand the way how I do things. If there is no one in my place, I first use e-mails and then I use Skype :P. One reason why I try to also write e-mails, is that I want to be capable to write in the language I learn and the other reason is maybe illogical for everyone, but I really do feel better if I know that the person a) is a person who has the time to answer me during the week b) that he or she is able to correct me

You know, I am preparing each session. Although it is not a lot of time, I do make some effort and if a person does not show up on Skype or if that person suddenly loses the interest, it is lost time for me. It is easier for me to check out the person by using e-mails because this way I can decide WHEN i write this e-mail and how FAST I answer. There is no stress because there is no specific date when I have to talk to that person ( of course, I don`t let them wait for too long xD). All in all, I can have my own life and will not be disappointed if the partner actually sucks because I could answer him whenever I wanted to. When I have the confidence that this person is going to be a pleasent conversation partner who will not let me down easily, I speak to them.

October 17, 2014

Hello Serguey ! I´ve been using italki since february,2012. A lot of people asked me my Skype - ID, and some never answered to my messages.But sometimes I could have nice conversations. I find that some peolple only want to receive,and not to give, like in real life.

But I found some good language partners here,and a couple of them I can call "virtual friends".

October 17, 2014

Eduard: I send you my Skype,and you never answered.Are you still interested?

October 18, 2014

Это реальная проблемма. Зачем дабавлять в друзья , если не собираешься общаться.Одно дело, когда общение не складивется по реальным причинам, ( несходство характера, разный уровень языковых навыков ...) но когда механичеки добавляют контакты и не делают не одной попытки наладить общение...это просто вызывает непонимание.

October 18, 2014
Show more