Mary
Korean humor

I love humor.

What are your recommendations on Korean literature, movies, books, blogs, YouTube videos, podcasts, etc.. that make you laugh?

(I can recommend "This American Life" and "The Moth" podcasts for English learners.)

Oct 19, 2014 2:06 AM
Comments · 3

I'm half korean, I don't do a lot of reading (though I should) but I think my favourite shows I would recommend would be like  "개그콘서트 (gag concert)" which is a live comedy show equivalent to like SNL or MadTv but funnier in my opinion.

Another would be "진짜 사나이 (Real Men)" which is a show where it shows life in the army with celebrities (including Sam who's an australian that speaks korean very well).

I'm also watching a show called "비정상회담 (Abnormal Summit)" which is my favorite show right now. It's like a mock G11 summit, so there are men from 11 different countries who all speak Korean and they discuss "important" topics with celebrity guests. This show is great because 1 it has people from all over the world speaking korean (so great motivation if you're trying to learn it), 2 it'll be pretty obvious what korean humor is, 3 you get to see perceptions/viewpoints from all over the world. Great show :D 

October 20, 2014

Great suggestions, Michelle!  Thank you.

October 22, 2014

Sorry, I'm no Korean expert - I just have a general comment. I have always felt (from my experience of languages) that humor is one of the most difficult things to be communicated (often failing to be communicated at all) if you do not belong to the culture (that is, you have depth in the past as well as the new present of the culture) - even for anyone who might have some high language exam score in that target language.

From what I've come across, humor only has a greater chance of being communicated to others outside the culture in only restricted categories of humor such as slapstick or puns.

To tell the truth, sometimes I like to listen to comedians in a language I am learning even if I don't understand much of the language, let alone the humor. I just enjoy listening to the qualities in the style of "delivery"... I hope you know what I mean...

I hope someone can give you some good Korean recommendations.

October 20, 2014