Yana Sinaieva
Professional Teacher
Let us talk about a Ukrainian community in Canada. Who wants to share information?

Hello everyone.

i am thinking of moving to Canada with my family. I know very little of life there and my husband is scared that it will be difficult to him to get used to a foreign culture.

Oct 19, 2014 7:22 AM
Comments · 4

I am not Ukrainian but there are a lot of people from Ukraine here in Manitoba, Canada.  There are large, thriving Urkainian communities, many churches & festivals dedicated to people from Ukraine.

October 19, 2014

I am not Canadian, but there are a lot of nice people there. Hopefully, some of them on italki will give you some useful information.

October 19, 2014

Yeah,  There are many Ukrainian communities throughout Saskatchewan and Manitoba.  Unfortunately, most of these communities are now second or third generation.  While much of the Ukranian culture remains most people under 60 years old dont speak the language.  

My grandmothers were both immigrants from the Ukraine but I only remember a few words and phrases.  Mostly food related... chasnyk!

November 28, 2014

What province? There is a very large Ukrainian population in Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta.  My hometown of Dauphin holds the National Ukrainian Festival (we had Ruslana this year). My new town of Saskatoon has a national ukrainian museum. There are ukrainian tourist villages all over, and ukrainian is taught along with french as a second language in schools.  Almolst everyone here has a "Babushka".  You should assimilate fairly easily!

November 28, 2014