Ruthi
Travellers and non travellers-can they understand each other?

I want to ask you all a question.I am a traveller,some of you already know this about me.I am actually an obsessive traveller.I am always thinking about my next trip.Some of my friends don't understand this.They think I am running away from something,or that I am wasting my money.Some people spend lots of money buying furniture or decorating their houses.I think that is boring.I want to see as many countries as I can before I am too old to do that.
Do you think I am crazy? Do you think I am irresponsible? I just spent 3 years away from home experiencing another culture.I have lived in 3 different countries,and visited more than 33.Is this strange? Is it abnormal? Would you do it?
Another thing is that when I come back from a trip and I want to tell friends about it they are not interested.They tell me about a new supermarket that just opened,or a TV show.These things don't really interest me and they don't want to hear about my experiences,so I just write about them in my blog.
Do you think travellers and non travellers can understand each other?

Oct 20, 2014 2:26 PM
Comments · 8

You're talking about my dream Ruthi, So I totally understand you. I'm sure the new supermarket will be there after your trip; sometimes women silly chit chat drive me nuts, so I really would rather travel (,") wish you all the best.

October 20, 2014

Thanks everyone for your feedback.Erika I do actually belong to several travel communities including Servas,an International Hosting organization (www.servas.org) and Couchsurfing,although I think that is more suited to younger travellers,virtualtourist.com and Tripadvisor,and also bewelcome.org which is a little like couchsurfing,but a new community. I am lucky that my husband also enjoys travelling as much as I do,and also because now I am older and so my children don't need me to be here with them.They are happy just to talk to me on Skype.

October 20, 2014

Very interesting question!! I too love to travel and now that I am getting older I realise that I have to do it now or never! Unfortunately my son is still only 16 and has no real interest in travelling as he doesn't like the sun and wants to stay with his friends! Like you, continually updating my house is not a priority - providing it isn't falling down it's fine!! We are all different. It is neither good or bad. We shouldn't judge. People have different priorities in life. That's what makes it interesting!! Enjoy your travels and find like minded people to share your experiences. Maria

October 20, 2014

Hi Ruthi I think that you should a keep traveling because that is what you like to do.

October 20, 2014

Hello Ruthi!

I don't think so at all. You remind me of my mom, she's just like you, she's always planing to travel anywhere. 

You're not irresponsible, I think that everyone spends their money in whatever they want to. Society has prooved to encourage people to spend their money (above all) in food or things to their house, or that kind of things. However, clever people choose by themselves.

I think that it's awesome that you have visited so many countries in your life, I'd like to do it if I could. Besides, knowing other cultures opens our minds, and makes us better people (in my opinion, at least).

I think that travellers and non travellers can understand each other, but, very lightly. When you haven't travelled and you don't know the feeling of being abroad, and meeting foreigners, and seeing that kind of things, you cannot understand the "traveller" point of view. However, there are people who have never travelled ('cause they couldn't) but they are curious and they like to know about the world, and listen to people who has travelled. 

When you want to talk to anyone about any of your travels, you can talk to me for sure. I like to know things about anywhere, hahah.

October 20, 2014
Show more