[Deleted]
Why don't we organize an "italki party" each year in a different place around the world...? xD

to have the opportunity of meeting each other! It would be awesome! xD

It would be like Babel as well, but....who cares?! xD

Oct 20, 2014 4:21 PM
Comments · 35

I don't want to sound negative but I keep reading discussions from people saying that they have a lot of trouble finding language partners here because people either don't want to talk or they say that they'll get together & never do.  If a free discussion from the comfort of your home is too difficult to organize & get participation from others, how is it possible to even consider a get-together in a foreign country?

October 21, 2014

Perhaps Skype could hook us all up in one big group session.

October 21, 2014

Maurizio, I think it's a great idea! Why has it become such a complex thing? :)

Your profile says you're in Rome, so let's start there. Find other italki members in Rome who'd be willing to meet up somewhere, and then put the word out to anyone else. With luck, other members near Rome (or willing to travel to Italy) might join. The language? Well, whatever people speak. Italian is as good as any other. It doesn't have to be huge. Just pleasant and sociable.

Are there already language meet-ups in Rome? Are any of the people who go to them also italki members?

Of course, not all of us can join. Some of us don't have the budget for lessons, let alone a trip to Italy. Then there's timing, other commitments, blah blah blah...  Still, if we think it's appropriate, we could arrange a similar catch-up in our own cities/areas.

From little things, big things grow... :)

October 22, 2014

Well, if you are looking for party/meeting, you can check this out at www.couchsurfing.org . Each week there's an international meeting in every big cities of the world with travelers of the moment. Here in Quebec it's in a bar downtown and it's sometimes quite popular. I'm not doing publicity for them but I think that it is a good alternative to some Italki parties and to get an opportunity to meet strangers. 

Have a good night,

L-A

October 21, 2014

Dave,
1. there is a dozen or two of people participation in English 'discussions' section on a regular basis. You, Comandante, Dorothy... I suppose if you planned/agreed to meet with comabdente - chanses are you'll meet. At least 1/2.

2. and there is thousands of people consisting italki itself. Some of them appear here, some disppear. Yes, it's not obvious how to organize them, and what to expect from each other.

Still it's possible to gather several people. I knew a lot of forums active perticipants of which get-together sometimes. It's easy enough. It's fun enough. But i'm more concerned with #2:) Maybe because I'm here just for 4 months... For me they are what makes italki an exciting place...

October 21, 2014
Show more