lala
I've just discovered this site and wanted to know, does anybody still have pen-pals?

I loved (still do) the pen to paper and sending little gifts back and forth that came with having a pen pal back in middle school nostalgia. Does anyone still do this? If yes, what is the topic of conversation and do you send other things as well?

Oct 21, 2014 7:05 AM
Comments · 5

I know the feeling of writing a letter and using the mail to send it, it was my one of my hobbies and I miss it so much:) Nothing equals the feeling of waiting for those written letters to arrive to my mail box, but right now I don't do that any more for more than one reason, even though I've nostalgic feelings to that time in my life! For some reason the mail services in my country stopped being reliable after the internet services started. Last year I sent a valuable package to Australia as a gift to my friend and I sent it in the registered mail, but she never received it and for my bad luck, It was never returned back to me! So I felt really sad for their repeated mistakes and because this time the gift was expensive too & this is why I sent it in the registered mail! So finally I learned my lesson and I deleted my mail services;) Right now I don't even have a p.o.box! What for if it's not used or useful any more..

October 21, 2014

It seems the sentiments of a hand written letter is still shared internationally, and apparently so is the mail delivery system which I was blissfully unaware of as Cali has been unaffected. Thats too bad, hopefully it will improve in other countries, I'd hate to see it go the way of the beeper or landline ( the now scarce form of communication tool although I'd totally support a beeper comeback story!). My pen pal used to be in Japan, the land of ridiculously cute stationary which I'm now starting to think is a tactic to support Japans postal service >.<

October 21, 2014

Hi lala,

I love that idea too.. I made few penpals here and in contact with them, it's worth than getting in contact virtually.. Nothing can replace the feeling we have when we receive some letters with words written by someone for us it's undescribably so beautiful. Today I thought to write a letter to my friend who is missing his parents and his home so badly with a postcard..

It's like it gives you happiness when you write and the person who receives too gets happiness.. 

General penpal topics which strike me are:

A few ideas off the top of my head:

Where they had been / Where they would like to go ?

What's your favorite food cooked by urself or have you tasted any wierd food earlier, Fav cuisine? Fav tv shows? Fav whatever?

What 5 things which changed you this year ?

Ask about favorites - favorite book and why?
Describe the personality of family members to give you a better picture of what they are like.
Share newsworthy items from the local news.
Recent events you attended or participated ?
I'm so curious that I'll also ask them to describe the view out their front window (ok, I stole this one from my article I read often.. I love to see what readers see!)
Any crafty projects? Any classes they are taking and what are they learning that surprises them?

....... lots more to text...^^

October 21, 2014

I would love to have penpals but custom here in my country sucks : / maybe it will take 1 year before I will receive the letter.

October 21, 2014

I had some pen-pals during my teenagehood and it was funny to receive letters and photos.

Today technology is changing our habits but I'm not happy about that.

A letter is more personal and special. Because you can see how it has been written, and there are details that make it unique.

An email is cold, formal, and you don't pay much attention.

Mail services are not good, but we should continue to write letters to friends, parents...

Sometimes an handwrite letter is a very pleasant present!

October 21, 2014