Michael Placid
What do you think of Organic food?

Would you lilke to buy Organic food? Why or why not? Do you think Orgainic food is healthier than conventional food?

Oct 23, 2014 2:40 AM
Comments · 4

Because In the supermarket, organic foods are not organic and more expensive.

October 23, 2014

You are right, But research has concluded that organic foods have no substantial vitamin or mineral advantage over non-organic foods, Eating organic foods may reduce exposure to pesticide and antibiotic-resistant bacteria. And growing food without the need for pesticides or chemical fertilizers. But not much people like to buy organic food.

October 23, 2014

Plants produce many of their antioxidant compounds to fight back against pest attacks, so the higher levels in organic crops may result from their lack of protection by chemical sprays. But the scientists say other reasons may be important, such as organic varieties being bred for toughness and not being overfed with artificial fertilisers.

Leifert and his colleagues conclude that many antioxidants "have previously been linked to a reduced risk of chronic diseases, including cardiovascular diseases, neurodegenerative diseases and certain cancers". But they also note that no long-term studies showing health benefits from a broad organic diet have yet been conducted.

The researchers found much higher levels of cadmium, a toxic metal, in conventional crops. Pesticide residues were found on conventional crops four times more often than on organic food. The research was funded by the EU and an organic farming charity.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jul/11/organic-food-more-antioxidants-study

October 23, 2014

Yes, I'm concerned that the pesticides used in the farming process may have a negative effect on the environment, and on people's health. I tend to buy organic vegetables most of the time, but organic fruit is much too expensive where I live - I just try to wash it well before I eat it! :)

October 23, 2014